Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
I will reiterate what I posted on the question about the cow moose hunt. If the population can sustain a hunt, that hunt should happen. That also goes for tag numbers. Who is anyone to say that less people should get to hunt, just so you can have a mountain to your self or see bigger deer? I keep seeing people comment about the division in hunters allowing for anti-hunting groups to creep in and harm our sport.

I can think of no bigger harm to hunting then some of these hunting organizations and companies recently. I honestly cannot believe that Muley Crazy put that out there publicly. But I guess I have to tip my hat, as he was at least honest and his complete stabbing in the back of Utah hunters. Other hunting organizations are much more sneaky about that.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Despite extraordinary efforts by the DWR to educate hunters about rudimentary concepts of deer management...

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
View attachment 83385

While I am not the biggest fan of how the Wildlife board is comprised and biased on some issues, this seems like a very reasonable response from John Bair.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Agreed, almost restores some hope in the WB.

This quote caught my attention.

"No one wants to shoot out all the big bucks, but we have kids that have put in for 3 years and still never hunted."

Valid point, but couldn't they fix the loophole to help that problem as well?................

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
With what I've seen last fall and all winter,
I'm comfortable raise in general deer permits.

In-fact,
I'm actually surprised that there was no change, or very little change
on a few of the central, south central units I spent last summer and fall on....

2-3 units I've hunted for 35 years now,
Deer look as good as they did back in the 80's right now...................8)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I like the "smoke 'em if you've got 'em" approach to deer management. A wise sportsman, well involved in management once told me that there is no such thing as a deer savings account as we are only one bad winter away from losing any 'surplus' that we might develop. This, combined with the fact that does can all still be bred with very low ratios leads me to support as many of us going deer hunting each year as possible.

'Eat drink and be merry.... For next winter they may all die."-------SS

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I like the "smoke 'em if you've got 'em" approach to deer management. A wise sportsman, well involved in management once told me that there is no such thing as a deer savings account as we are only one bad winter away from losing any 'surplus' that we might develop. This, combined with the fact that does can all still be bred with very low ratios leads me to support as many of us going deer hunting each year as possible.

'Eat drink and be merry.... For next winter they may all die."-------SS
I agree but I'm afraid these groups will try to get the buck/doe ratio's raised higher to stop the tag increases in the future.
Which I don't support.
I also wished the mid level LE deer units would change their ratio's from 25-35/100 buck/doe to a 25-30/100 ratio.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I am beginning to think most of these trophy guys would be happy never allowing hunting and just get there jollies picking up monster buck sheds every spring.
I'm sure your right.
Why kill a buck for one set of antlers, when you could pick up the same bucks antlers 5 years in a row?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
It sure is strange-- The herd has estimated to have increased from 280,000ish to 400,000ish= an additional 120,000 deer. Now there is a proposal to increase tags by 4,000, which might result in 2,000 dead bucks, and the complaints start. Something there is crazy and it isn't muleys.....

I hope for sane heads to prevail and follow the management Plan which was passed.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Packout, according to the most recent big game report, most overall success rates when you factor in all seasons are in the 20s and 30s. The highest was 48%. So it's really more like about 1,400 more dead bucks.

Most of the proposed increases are between 100-200 tags per unit. There are a few that are higher. 150 tags, spread over the 3 seasons, means about 30-60 more bucks killed per unit. Not really a doomsday scenario.

I too hold out your same hope.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
I'm kind of a masochist, so tonight I went through each unit in the state comparing the proposed tag increases to unit success rates to see how many more bucks will be killed if tag numbers increase as proposed and harvest rates stay static.

A grand total of 1,344 more bucks will be killed across the state. Distributed over 3 different hunting seasons. Within a population estimated at just over 400,000 statewide. ** EDIT- herd are estimated at just under 400,000. My bad. Take 2 extra rifle tags away for my mistake.

And Ryan Hatch wants less hunters in the field.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm kind of a masochist, so tonight I went through each unit in the state comparing the proposed tag increases to unit success rates to see how many more bucks will be killed if tag numbers increase as proposed and harvest rates stay static.

A grand total of 1,344 more bucks will be killed across the state. Distributed over 3 different hunting seasons. Within a population estimated at just over 400,000 statewide.

And Ryan Hatch wants less hunters in the field.
As has been said, he makes his living off of big bucks. Less competition is better for his bottom line.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Whoops, should have put this post up here, not on 'E-mail I got'....

Total Utah deer permits:

2011- 80,425
2012- 79,066
2013- 84,600
2014- 84,800
2015- 86,550
2016- proposed, 90,950 deer permits.

When opt 2 began in 2012, there was only a reduction of 1,359 deer permits.

You have to go back to 2008, 91,750 deer permits to find numbers like
we should see this year.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You have to go back to 2008, 91,750 deer permits to find numbers like
we should see this year.
Should see is the right phrase... if guys like Mr. Hatch and other special interest groups have their way we won't.

Is it too much to ask for those in a position of power to simply follow the management plan? (It's a rhetorical question... clearly the answer is yes.)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yeah but since option 2 was implemented we have had perfect winter conditions to grow deer.

Reactions: Caddis-n-Cutts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts