Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure how many of you die-hard fly fishermen get to California, or anywhere on the west coast, but there is a ton of great fly fishing right in the surf zone. Of course the more south you go the more diverse the species you catch. There is a book from Ken Hanley called Fly Fishing afoot in the Surf Zone. He was one of the pioneers for west coast fly surf fishing. Check out these sites...
http://www.fliflicker.com
http://www.garybulla.com

They have some great patterns and techniques. I have caught a few surf perch, croakers, and mackrel. Nothing too exotic but its a blast. Whenever I go back I always bring the old fly rod for some surf action. Make sure you use a sacrificial rod and reel. The salt and sand are really hard on your gear.

Just something to check out during these bitter winter months.

HockeyMan

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice post! I've been really interested in saltwater fly fishing. Every time I go home to the east coast I hit the surf but I haven't had a chance to try it with a fly rod. What's the lowest weight rod you would use on the surf?

One of these days I want to make it over to the west coast... never been, so it would be awesome to catch fish on a fly the first time I see the pacific! :)

Utah would be the best state in the country if only it weren't landlocked! :twisted:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am really not sure what to use anymore. I converted from fly-fishing to bass fishing about four years ago. I have maybe chucked a bug six times in the four year span. However, I have heard the many use 9' #7 fast action rods on the average. If you are just targeting surf perch then a good #6 or #5 should be fine. One the target speceis gets a little bigger then go to an #8. Most of the die hard surf zone guys used a myriad of lines, shooting heads, and leaders. I have an old Sage Discovery series 9' #7, which I use in the surf. It's a slower action rod so it handles a good range of fish. Just read the "Tactics" section of fliflicker.com.

Hope that helps. The next time I am in California visiting I am going to bring my gear.

HockeyMan

·
Registered
287 Posts
I know what you mean about the bass fishing! Fun stuff!! Does the west coast offer any saltwater bass species (stripers, redfish, etc.)? When I go back to SC I'm going to try and get a redfish on a fly! I'm sure that will be one amazing fight!

Thanks for the info and links! :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some of the species...Barred Surf Perch, Walleye Surf Perch, Halibut, Yellowfin Croaker, Spotfin Croaker, Corbina, Leopard shark, bat ray, stripers (northern CA)

Other species caught in harbors...sand bass, calico bass, bonita, makrel.

There are many opportunities out there. I am no expert but there are plenty of websites offering tons of information from the experts. The sites I mentioned in the intial post have "hatch charts" and lots of good places to fish. Knowing the tides is just as important as using the correct fly.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts