·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Dave Adamson

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I saw those yesterday. My brother still hunts with those exact same decoys. I can now see how weighted keels changed the came. I was sick of watching them flip over in the water from a slight breeze. The bad thing is, if you call people that believe they have gold and make a reasonable offer, they usually hang up or swear at you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bought both types of those decoys between 95 and 2000 brand new in store for 25 bucks a box that works out to 75 bucks for all decoys brand new. But to each his own maybe that's custom mud coating.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Are you sealing the paint when you're done? No, but I probably should. I just repaint them every couple of years

And are you actually killing blue wings?
The kids have a better chance for BWT on the youth hunt, so I put them out for them. I do know someone that shot a drake BWT on the opener last year. I have seen a few around, and it certainly doesn't hurt to have them in a spread of decoys. The other ducks honestly don't care.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Here's one he shot last year on the opener.
My dad shot one about 6-7 years ago on the opener, but it wasn't quite as colored up as that one. We were fairly new to waterfowling and didn't think much of it at the time. In all our hunts since then, we've only seen one other confirmed drake, which buzzed our decoys on a sunny November day in the Layton/Kaysville wetlands. We sent a few shots its way and didn't touch a feather. :cry: Cool birds for sure.

We've taken a few other early season birds that may have been bluewing hens, but unless you have the two species side by side it's pretty hard to distinguish them.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I used to kill limits of teal with blue wings at Ogden Bay. They seemed to all be hens though. I was told they were cinnamon teal after my fourth trip there and about 25 of them later. So I still don't think I've ever killed one. I've watched a pair at OB during nesting season, but that's the only time I've ever seen a confirmed one. He was a nice drake.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My first duck ever killed at the ripe old age of 7 was a drake blue wing.....of course they were pretty common in Louisiana. I still love drake greenwings the best. Beautiful bird in full plumage

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My first duck ever killed at the ripe old age of 7 was a drake blue wing.....of course they were pretty common in Louisiana. I still love drake greenwings the best. Beautiful bird in full plumage
you need to come on a late season airboat hunt then. we have access to them in droves. ;-)

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you need to come on a late season airboat hunt then. we have access to them in droves. ;-)
Hey PM me anytime you need someone to show you how to miss them regularly, I'm in. :grin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts