Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Really, I'm not making this up and its good!

Take a 4.5 lb sage grouse:

Inject it with bacon grease:

Stuff it with your favorite dressing:

Wrap some bacon on it:

Bake at 300° for 1.5 to 2 hours:

Breast meat n dressing:

Legs n thighs with dressing and squash:

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Oh my!! Maybe I should try that on a couple teals I got mon.
I was just wondering how that would taste with a Mallard or honker..mmmm

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Looks delicious! |-O-|

Not sure what ones cardiologist would think about it however. ;-)
Hahaha,,,,,that just gave me the idea, I haven't had any of my world famous heart attack sandwiches lately...sounds like a good idea for supper tonight.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Injected bacon grease

Goob just showed us that. How was it Goob?
It was OK, not as dry and an improvement in flavor over normal baked sage grouse.

The dressing was onion, celery and andouille sausage.

I'm going to do another boomer sage grouse. This time I'm going to add a little fresh thyme and fresh garlic to the bacon grease.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I would think that brining the boomer might do more for flavor and moisture than injecting with the bacon grease. What do you think Goob?

I've tried injecting chickens and turkeys both with bacon grease, and all it did was make it greasy. I found that if you want to get a real bacon flavor into anything, injecting grease doesn't do it. However, before baking, sear the bird in a hot skillet filled with the grease and it will get the bacon flavor in there way better than injecting it.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Injected bacon grease

I would think that brining the boomer might do more for flavor and moisture than injecting with the bacon grease. What do you think Goob?

I've tried injecting chickens and turkeys both with bacon grease, and all it did was make it greasy. I found that if you want to get a real bacon flavor into anything, injecting grease doesn't do it. However, before baking, sear the bird in a hot skillet filled with the grease and it will get the bacon flavor in there way better than injecting it.
Well, what am I gonna do with all this bacon grease I got then?

Uh...like I said, makin' a boomer sage grouse greasy is "...an improvement in flavor". :)

Reactions: GaryFish

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Have you tried brining a sage grouse?

I just don't hunt them any more. The last time I shot one was in 1986, and I shot a limit of 3 birds in one flush, with 3 shots from my Remington Wingmaster (loved that gun). Luckiest dang shooting I've ever done in my whole life. Anyway, it was torture choking those things down and I decided then I'd never hunt them again. And haven't.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Injected bacon grease

Have you tried brining a sage grouse?

I just don't hunt them any more. The last time I shot one was in 1986, and I shot a limit of 3 birds in one flush, with 3 shots from my Remington Wingmaster (loved that gun). Luckiest dang shooting I've ever done in my whole life. Anyway, it was torture choking those things down and I decided then I'd never hunt them again. And haven't.
I brined and smoked some back in the day. Too dry.

Injecting butter is good, but I'm on a bacon grease kick this week.

Best sage grouse recipe is Mrs Goob's Hunter-style Sage Grouse: http://utahwildlife.net/forum/26-recipes/8064-hunter-style-sage-grouse.html

Hey, I got 3 birds with one shot this year! 12 ga, #5s, Mod choke, @ 35 yards. Really cool except it put us 2 over the limit. :?

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Injecting phosphates in a sage grouse

I'm thinking of injecting some tripolyphospate; you now, like what's in a store-bought turkey or your favorite fast food meat.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I injected butter

in a big ole boomer sage grouse!

This thing is huge:

All "pumped up" and ready to go:

Baked, covered, at 300°:

Turned out pretty good:

Lots of parsnips; everybody loves parsnips. :)

Sage Grouse Injection #4

2 - grouse, whole
1 cup - butter
1 tsp - fresh thyme, minced
2 cloves - garlic, minced
1/2 tsp - salt
1/4 tsp - Super Phosphate 450
2 quarts - vegetables
1/2 cup - water

Instructions:
· Melt butter and set aside.
· When the butter is cool, but still soft, blend in the remainder of the ingredients except the water.
· Inject the mixture into the bird; four or five places in each breast and once in each leg and thigh.
· Place the vegetables in a roaster pan, casserole dish or crock pot. Melt the remaining butter mixture and drizzle about one-half of it over the vegetables.
· Lightly brush the bird with the butter mixture.
· Stuff some of the buttered veggies in the bird.
· Add the water.
· Cook, covered, in a 300° oven for 3 hours or on low in a crock pot for 8 hours.
· Baste the bird with the butter mixture once or twice while it is cooking.
· Strain and reserve the liquid.

Comments:
Carrots, potatoes, parsnips, celery and onions work great in this recipe.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Hmmm. Did that make it taste like buttered sage brush? I love your continued attempts at edible boomer. It has to taste better than raccoon I suppose.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Lord look at the size of the breasts on that bird. Looks yummy.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Hmmm. Did that make it taste like buttered sage brush? I love your continued attempts at edible boomer. It has to taste better than raccoon I suppose.
If you've had raccoon the way I have you'd change your mind. **** is one of my favorite things to eat. It's kind of a cross between cottontail and fox squirrel in taste...yum !!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts