Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My theory on fly fishing has always been that the challenge of fly fishing isn't to present something that the fish wants to take, but rather to convince a fish to take the fly whether it wants it or not! So, take any of those flies pictured in the thread above, mail them to me, and I'll give my honest, best effort to catch a fish on each one.

you're welcome!

That's a great idea PBH. Go talk to your dad and see if he will let you try some of his. :LOL:

He has a lot of those same flies. I tied some up for him in exchange for one of his pieces of fine art. It wasn't really a fair exchange, I got the better part of that deal.

· Registered
4,722 Posts
It wasn't really a fair exchange, I got the better part of that deal.
I'm lucky to have a couple of my own. He's pretty impressive -- but the best part is just that he enjoys doing them.

He did a few pieces years ago of more "famous" areas -- like the Madison in Yellowstone. Then one day he said "you know, there are a lot of people doing paintings of famous places. I should do more local stuff that most people don't know". That's when he started painting places like Blind Lake, Kingston Canyon, Boulder Top, the "Hams Fork of the Green"*. One of my favorites is a piece he did about 40+ years ago. Outside of my family, I doubt anyone would ever recognize the location: a spring cascading out of the pine trees surround by lush vegetation and flowers. The source of East Fork Boulder Creek. While I doubt it was intended, that painting holds a lot of significance. It could easily be titled "The Beginning".

*This painting is not geographically correct.

· Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
965 Posts
I'm lucky to have a couple of my own. He's pretty impressive -- but the best part is just that he enjoys doing them
I'd love to see some of his work. Sounds awesome.

· Registered
965 Posts
I think the "matching the hatch" necessity occurs much more often on high pressure moving waters...:
Who cares what an art connisseur thinks. Those are freaking awesome.

· Registered
965 Posts
One more, just because this is more fun than work....
Equally awesome. and super cool with the sentimental connection. Those are family treasures. I'd like those way better than my mother's quilts. Those are neat and all, but fish are way cooler than a quilt.

· Registered
24 Posts
I'd like to pose a question about what other fly fishers have experienced in their pursuit of fish on a fly.

Do you think you have caught more fish on a natural imitation (match the hatch) or on a fly pattern that does not represent any natural food source?

As a fly tier I've tried to come up with the ultimate killer fly. My definition for that fly, simple to tie and catches fish. ;) It seems like some of the patterns that I have had good success with look nothing like anything in nature.

I mostly fish flat water now and use almost completely different flies than I fished on the stream.
Fishing a stream is a lot different and maybe it's more important for you to match the hatch but I have caught fish on a stream using patterns that don't represent the existing food source too.

Any thoughts from you fly flingers?
When I was younger I would get 3 plus days a week out fishing/guiding and could catch on almost anything. Yes some days would be more of a challenge of course, but I would experience a lot of incredible days in may different fisheries. Now I rarely get out fishing and try to use the same flies and find it so much more difficult. My assessment is technique and line management matter so much and a rusty hand and technique are hard to hide. The more a river gets fished, the more important this becomes. Sometimes matching what is in the river is not the best because there can be so much of it at times. Other times a 26 gnat must be used. Problem now is I cannot even see to tie that one on.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to pose a question about what other fly fishers have experienced in their pursuit of fish on a fly. Do you think you have caught more fish on a natural imitation (match the hatch) or on a fly pattern that does not represent any natural food source? As a fly tier I've tried to come up with the ultimate killer fly. My definition for that fly, simple to tie and catches fish. ;) It seems like some of the patterns that I have had good success with look nothing like anything in nature. I mostly fish flat water now and use almost completely different flies than I fished on the stream. Fishing a stream is a lot different and maybe it's more important for you to match the hatch but I have caught fish on a stream using patterns that don't represent the existing food source too. Any thoughts from you fly flingers?
I feel it depends on the time of the year. And how busy the section has been. I know that fishing the edges with a nice streamer or mouse pattern you hit some bigger more knowable fish. I feel that’s when it matters catching a nice old hook mouth brown with a mouse hang on

· Registered
4,722 Posts
I have no idea if he took an art class when he was younger. To my knowledge he has never taken any lessons.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts