Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out hutning with my buddy JD this morning got to our spot on some private land. Scared up a couple birds when we were setting up but no big deal. After a while we had some birds land in some open water. We ended up sneaking up on them, I got a beautiful drake wigeon.

On our way back to the truck JD heard geese and sure enough we had a flock flying right at us so we got into the tree line we were next to and waited. When they got to where we wanted them we pulled up our guns and just as we were about to shoot one goose just dropped out of the sky, not a shot fired. Anyways here is a picture of todays bag.

My buddy JD with the goose

Me

My little brother, he didnt go with us but he will when he gets bigger. Check out the size difference between my little brother and the goose.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Avian Botulism? That'd be what I'd put my money on. Although, what's the cause of the blood on the goose's belly? But that's just plain wierd, whatever caused it. Beautiful cotton top there as well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'll take a guess at explaining your dead goose without a shot fired, let me know if I am close.
Do you hunt within a few miles of the north end of Utah Lake?
Every morning near Saratoga Springs, morons that insist on giving waterfowlers a bad reputation sky-bust the flight line and fatally wound geese that still fly a few miles before they die in mid-air.
Let's face it, you will never get rid of skybusters. But maybe we can get rid of their ammo, I say let's ban anything bigger than BB's.
Anyone agree?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, hello, I am JD. So upon plucking the bird I found that it had been hit with 4 pellets. The individual bb's looked pretty small to me, so I opened up a couple different sized cartridges and as close as I could tell some moron hit the bird with abou #4 shot. When we recovered it, there was frozen blood on the wing, so we just guessed that somebody had sky busted it the night before....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shaner said:
I'll take a guess at explaining your dead goose without a shot fired, let me know if I am close.
Do you hunt within a few miles of the north end of Utah Lake?
Every morning near Saratoga Springs, morons that insist on giving waterfowlers a bad reputation sky-bust the flight line and fatally wound geese that still fly a few miles before they die in mid-air.
Let's face it, you will never get rid of skybusters. But maybe we can get rid of their ammo, I say let's ban anything bigger than BB's.
Anyone agree?
I think you hit the nail on the head, It had been shot it just choose to die in front of us. Somebody had sky busted it the night or day before, cause the blood was frozen and we hadnt heard any shots before they came over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts