Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started off with a great shoot New Years day on the geese.

Then Saturday the 2nd was a pick and choose your duck day which could of easily been a mallard thump fest but I like more then just mallards in the bag.

Monday the 4th everything went cold, man it was like someone flipped a light switch but stuck it out all day and ended up doing ok.

Wednesday the 6th, oh boy did it shut off. It was every trick in the book just to kill 3 birds but at least I wasn't at work.

Saturday the 9th again was a quick attempt right before work with the birds showing up about 30 minutes lake making me a little late for work but hey when your landing geese in the blocks.........yep it worth being late.

Yesterday was a day where there were two opportunities to scratch down a few geese but I choose not to call the shot as they were on the fringe of range and of course your hoping that one last pass will be feet down and not bailing out but it just wasn't to be. Almost had a crack at a spec yesterday as well, just needed 20 more yards but the flock of honkers he was in swung wide at 50 and didn't make another swing. Oh well it's been a very fun start to the new year!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Nice work! Do you ever shoot a goose that isn't banded? Awesome that you got a snow too!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys.
Nice work! Do you ever shoot a goose that isn't banded? Awesome that you got a snow too!
Lol yes I get a bunch of non banded to. Just happen too hunt in areas that have heavy banding done around them.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I do shoot a few bands at times. This morning didn't work as planned but hey better then nothing lol. Should have been two as I crumpled The first bird then powdered the second and sent him into The death glide only to have him pull out and fly off.......... Some days it just don't go right. Good thing there's always tomorrow to try again

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm assuming most of your banded geese come from Utah??
Are you seeing any black bands?
On a normal year I kill most of my geese back home in Utah but this year due to many out side factors I've had to hunt these local birds a lot more. When I do hunt home the area I hunt they have stopped banding and only used the black bands for one year. Of those I've picked up, one was last year and one the year before. Where I am now the few migrators we get are mostly from Utah and come from the bear river area but I've not seen or heard of a black band being killed here yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts