Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a serious duckaholic in the family, my son. This is our first year hunting and he persuaded me that we only needed 3 1/2 hours of sleep the morning of New Years Day and that we should be at Farmington Bay at 5:15. His grand plan was to stake a claim on the only open water we knew of. His plan worked, we had the decoys out and were waiting for dawn when the next hunters hoping to claim the water showed up. They walked past us in the dark without a word and set up not twenty yards behind us, even though my son and I still had our headlamps on finalizing our shooting positions, decoys, etc... I thought about asking them to join us, perhaps they could call or throw in their decoys, but then just before shooting light I heard one young buck on his cell phone dropping the f-bomb describing how we were in "his" spot.

They ended up giving us a fine demonstration in sky busting. Any flock that started coming our way was greeted with a volley of shots from the late arrivers when they were waaaaay out of range. They even shot at ducks that were coming from in front of us, shooting over our heads. After an hour they left, but we didn't get anything but seagulls coming in after that.

Fact is, some hunters are jerks. Even so, just like the other waterfowler's we have met in the marsh and on this forum that have been so generous with advice and help, they still taught us a lesson: what NOT to do in the marsh. Quack on my fellow duck chasers.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Wow... thats terrible and I've had that same experience out there.... thats a bummer for your son. What a way to learn a lesson. Hopefully you guys can find a spot or two where you don't run into that sort of garbage.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That exact same thing happened to me on opening day. Some guys showed up just before shooting started and set up right behind me.

Some people just plain stink.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Same thing happend to me... We set up decoys on two different spots of water, one at which me and my buddy were at and the other my other buddy was at. We were only about 100 yards apart and he had his head lamp on and set out all the decoys on the edge of a pong. Well the pond cuts in half with a few catails and other side of the pond is about 10 yards away, so a very small pond. Anyways, some guy comes right before shooting hours and says hi to my buddy then just calmly sets up on the other side not 8 yards from our decoys.... A... dude? you realize somone is already there and I'm sure there is another spot up further another 100 Yards. He was poliet but said he will shoot everything on his side, which still made me angry when we had mallards working our decoys and then make a big circle then watch him drop one of the four. Some duck hunters need to get a life! Theres only a small margin of them, but some of them are real BONEHEADS!

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
My favorite are the ones that set up inside of your party (this guy was between me and my nephew, we were 20 yards apart) on the dikes at Farmington Bay. This is the reason I bought a dog and am finding other places to go on opening day.[attachment=0:it11ql9w]stuff 005.jpg[/attachment:it11ql9w]

·
Registered
376 Posts
Loke said:
My favorite are the ones that set up inside of your party (this guy was between me and my nephew, we were 20 yards apart) on the dikes at Farmington Bay. This is the reason I bought a dog and am finding other places to go on opening day.[attachment=0:a4gzvsxx]stuff 005.jpg[/attachment:a4gzvsxx]
whats the deal with the orange too

·
Registered
376 Posts
have had a good experiance with somebody setting up on top of me. he asked first but he also had 3 dozen goose decoys and although we didn't get any geese i was the only one that got mallards and cans. the other guys got shovelers and goldies

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
That guy in the Upland vest is hilarious.... of course, no waders and no dog so anything that falls in the water... well, he's screwed. That alone should be illegal.... if you don't have a method of retrieving your birds, well, then you should be chased out of the WMA or off any other public waterfowling area. Probably the same kind of person that leaves good eating ducks in the trash at Ogden. :roll: Speaking of which... a season ago, we saw some guy in orange hunkered down by the canal at the south end Ogden parking lot... waiting for swans I guess?? That or going #2 in the weeds..... either way... orange?? :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts