Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going muzzy hunting! Super excited! Been shooting my gun, it's hitting pretty good. But it seems like everyone I talk to is shooting more than 100 grains of powder. I'm currently sighted in with 100 gr. triple 7 and 250 gr. hornady sst. I don't want to shoot further than 150 yards. But let's say a scenario presents itself, and I need to shoot 200 yards, will that load set up perform well enough to kill an animal at that distance? Will more powder make me more accurate? Less accurate? I'm pretty new to this stuff so I'm asking for opinions. I'm not asking for opinions that 200 is too far and unethical. Thanks in advance! I can't wait to hopefully get a deer this year!!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Hunterchick, Im in the same boat as you and shooting the exact same load for deer this year. This is my first year with a muzzy. Looking forward to some responses on your thread here. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Only you and your rifle can say if your best accuracy is 100, 105, 110, ect grains of your powder. Different rifles like different loads so go try a few and see what you see. 100 grains is enough and if that is what your rifle likes then shoot it with confidence.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I shoot 100 grains by volume of blackhorn with a bonded 300 grain tc shockwave, complete pass through on my bull at 70 yards. He never knew what hit him, walked twenty yards and tipped over. Like muddydog said go try out your gun with different volumes and see what it likes best. Before my hunt everyone was saying to increase my volume to 120 grains of blackhorn, but I found my gun likes 100 best. Dead on at 100 with a 4 inch drop at 200 yards.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
777 is hotter than normal Pyrodex to start with, the bottles all had that warning on them.

For myself, I shoot 90grns Pyrodex and dont feel limited in the slightest. Shooting longer distances is more about knowing your ballistics and drop. Trying to overcome that with faster bullets just isnt necessary (assuming you have the energy down range for the kill).

I watch all these new people try load after load of all the new "Whizbang" powders and bullets, post after post about specialized primers, custom breechplugs etc etc required to even light the stuff, ignition issues etc etc... I just laugh and continue to tip over deer year after year with stinky ole Pyrodex and XTPs.

-DallanC

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
Dead on at 100 with a 4 inch drop at 200 yards.
I kindof know more than the average guy about Ballistics, having written one of the most popular ballistic softwares out there... I would really like to see what muzzle velocity you have.

According to my calculations, your bullet would have to be over 3000fps to be sighted in at 100 yards and only 4" low at 200. Just not possible.

-DallanC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nothing exact, and I'm definitely no expert on ballistics. Just found what worked in my gun and figured out my best combo. You are probably 100% correct that it's not possible as we never did any calculations just went out and shot most shots were at 100 and we just played around at 200, just to see what we would get, that's what I consistently averaged, but shooting. 1x power and open sights as we practiced was for sure not exact the same place every time. I never intend to shoot at animal at that distance so we didn't spend a lot of time on it. Just messing around at that range everything is so small in the 1x power scope that I like to keep it 100 yards or in. I know exactly where I am hitting at 100 yards or less.. Sorry if I caused any confusions. Just trying to say figure out what load and bullet your gun likes and go shoot it. I found what my gun likes without changing anything but the powder. I switched from pyrodex to blackhorn and that's all I changed, same stock breech plug and same primers I use for pyrodex and I got better groupings out of my gun. Dallan what's the name of your software? I'm always interested in learning more about how all of this stuff works. Again sorry if I have bad info. Happy hunting it's almost time!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I kindof know more than the average guy about Ballistics, having written one of the most popular ballistic softwares out there... I would really like to see what muzzle velocity you have.

According to my calculations, your bullet would have to be over 3000fps to be sighted in at 100 yards and only 4" low at 200. Just not possible.

-DallanC
Caught my attention as well since I'm shooting close to the same combo and I have about 12" at 200 yards.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am in the same boat. Excited for the muzzy deer hunt!! Shooting 100 grains, .50 cal, 260 grain sabot. Open sights as low as they can go. 100 seems to be plenty. In fact its shooting too high. 4" high at 50 yards and 14" high at 100 yards. Where would it hit at 150? 200 yards?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Have shot 100 grains Pyro with a 348 grain bullet for a long time.
Has always worked well. I even have to make sure I aim a little low for a downhill shot.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am in the same boat. Excited for the muzzy deer hunt!! Shooting 100 grains, .50 cal, 260 grain sabot. Open sights as low as they can go. 100 seems to be plenty. In fact its shooting too high. 4" high at 50 yards and 14" high at 100 yards. Where would it hit at 150? 200 yards?
Something isn't right here as a rifle shooting 4" high at 50 should be about dead on at 100 and not 14" high. 14" high at 100 would put you about dead on at 200 give or take an inch or two. I suppose this could be possible if the rifle is shooting way high and at 50 its still coming up. Basically I would say this rifle is no where sighted in and needs some more work.

Why not put a taller front blade on the rifle to give you some more adjustment in the rear sight? I had to do this with a TC New Englander as it shot way high with the rear sight bottomed out.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
I am in the same boat. Excited for the muzzy deer hunt!! Shooting 100 grains, .50 cal, 260 grain sabot. Open sights as low as they can go. 100 seems to be plenty
My hawkin is that way, drop your powder charge 10 grns and retry it, it brought mine down considerably

On a sidenote, I've been looking for a hawkin front sight that is 3/16" higher than the standard for just this reason. The gun has a fast twist barrel and is super accurate, just shoots high with 90-100gr charge.

-DallanC

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have an old traditional cva mountain stalker. 80 grains with a tc maxi hunter is all I ever shoot. Never had a problem with killing deer or pronghorn.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think i will lower the powder down to 80 or 90 and see how it shoots. Good luck out there everyone!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm all for shooting a reasonable load at reasonable distances but why start knocking off FPS when in your initial post you want to push the 200 yard mark. Call around to a couple gunsmiths and find one that has a taller front blade and get it changed out. I guess it is getting close to the season so you might have problems getting it done. Sportsmans does have Vortex 1x scopes last I saw, best 1x scope on the market.

My bad as Slayer isn't the OP but still why decrease FPS. Heck if nothing else move up to a 300 grain slug and see if that drops your POI.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I saw my buddy shoot a deer at 200 yards with a similar load. 250 grain sabot in front of 100 grains of powder. It was a perfect low behind the shoulder shot and the bullet passed right through. The buck ran about 30 or 40 yards and crashed. I shoot a 90 grain charge with big heavy conicals. I've never even shot a deer at further than 100 yards with a muzzy I don't think but I have put those big heavy conicals into the brisket on head-on shots and recovered them from the underneath the hide on the rump. 100 grains of black powder is plenty potent for deer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts