Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was just at Popeye's in West Valley and saw a guy with a DWR vest on. Almost stopped him to ask when is the soonest they can get the drawing over with and let us know!

·
Super Moderator
9,653 Posts
The draws get drawn out year after year. I still have to put in for deer in Arizona and then wait until July to see if I draw. The same for Wyoming deer with the application date of May 31.

It seams if I am not putting in for a draw I am waiting for another one to open up, but then once they get here there is never enough time to get the scouting and trips into the area before the hunts begin.

On a side note there may be some deer hunters that are using the Utah loop hole get a surprise this year if they put in for Thousand Lake Mountain, they just may draw from what I saw on the WB meeting this morning.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
On a side note there may be some deer hunters that are using the Utah loop hole get a surprise this year if they put in for Thousand Lake Mountain, they just may draw from what I saw on the WB meeting this morning.
Mind explaining for those of us who couldn't attend/watch? Is it just the 100 permit increase from last year's numbers that you are referring to, or did something else happen?

I'm wondering if my dad will get that tag now... In all reality, we would be thrilled to draw it, but it wasn't what we were planning on.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
They increased the 1000 Lakes by 100 permits, but they changed the Weapon Allocation Split so that the end result is the same number of rifle tags as last year and an increase in archery and ML permits. So it doesn't change anything for rifle applicants.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I don't own land and I do not hunt the Wasatch but I'm still hesitant about these PLO permits they're planning on implementing.

I'm sure there are multiple landowners that are licking their chops waiting to get the go ahead to start profiting from trespass fees. I hope they aren't the same owners that receive gov't money every time we have a dry year.

...and more directly to the OP....It feels like the draw takes way longer than necessary EVERY YEAR! I also feel it dirty business to collect app fees prior to setting tag numbers. Any changes made to the system after you've already collected the money, to me, is considered wrong.

·
Registered
9,962 Posts
I honestly really don't think about it until it happens. Cant change anything through worrying, so why bother. Plenty of other spring things todo right now to get ready for fishing and whatnot. Credit card charge is hit and miss for me due to Cabelas running it several days after everyone else, so even that I quit watching for the most part.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I honestly really don't think about it until it happens. Cant change anything through worrying, so why bother. Plenty of other spring things todo right now to get ready for fishing and whatnot. Credit card charge is hit and miss for me due to Cabelas running it several days after everyone else, so even that I quit watching for the most part.

-DallanC
I can't STOP thinking about it!

I start thinking about next year's hunt the second I start packing up camp from this year.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Definitely seems to be taking forever. Maybe it is because I plan on hitting it hard this year and can't wait to get started.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
i would say maybe by the end of next week or the middle week after that. i just want to know where im hunting so i can get up there and start scouting spots out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am betting cards will be hit May 15. That is the day they started getting hit the last few years.

While yes I am excited for that, I have found myself obsessing about my first turkey hunt instead. Is it monday yet???

·
Registered
248 Posts
i would say maybe by the end of next week or the middle week after that. i just want to know where im hunting so i can get up there and start scouting spots out.
That's where I'm at as well! would really like to get out and start scouting. we want to get out for both deer and elk this year.

Also, our scout group has opted to do some backpacking instead of the week long organized (if you can call it that) camps. would really like to start packing in the miles where I will be hunting later!

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I am just extra excited to hunt this year because I am no longer the Scout Master of our local troop which means I have more time to scout and dedicate to the hunt. I am putting in for a couple rough units that honestly aren't amazing producers as you really need to get into some rough areas to find the deer, but that's why I put in for the units. I want some hard stuff to hunt and a reason to go backpacking this summer :)

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I am betting cards will be hit May 15. That is the day they started getting hit the last few years.

While yes I am excited for that, I have found myself obsessing about my first turkey hunt instead. Is it monday yet???
May 13th this year...

And ya, Monday, my next hunt too.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
My bank rarely shows any pending charges until they have pretty much cleared the bank but I still enjoy seeing everyone's successes leading up to the formal notification date.

I've got a stellar record of 24 UnSucc to 15 Succ over the last 18 years so I try to keep my expectations low as possible. I have a good feeling that I'll draw a GS Deer this year though.

* Oh wait, didn't they just cut tags on the Manti South today?* Still I will stay optimistic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts