Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed out tomorrow afternoon for the first hunt of the season. I have a small 14ft boat made in the 60's and it can barely fit 3 people. Tomorrow I'm taking out a buddy and a first time duck hunter. As I was getting things ready and loading the boat I realized I have about 7dz decoys and without thinking I threw them all in the boat, then I realized I don't have room for 3 hunters. Seeing all the decoys I got thinking is more decoys really better? Are there sitiuation where less is better? And what are those situations to use more or to use less?

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
I think it really depends on where you set up. Big open water areas, yes more is better most of the time. Small holes you can get away with a lot less decoys. I do like bigger spreads during the early part of the season.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
just take 4 doz, leaves three spaces for yous guys. We used to use 2-3 decoys when hunting small ponds or streams...singles or pairs seem to like small speads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I'm still learning do you feel there are better ways to set up that many decoys and if so what's the best way to do?

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
The "J" method works good. Sometimes a "W" pattern seems to be the trick. And sometimes I just throw them all out and hope for the best. I always try to leave a "hole" in the decoys where the birds can land, and if there are multiple shooters I will create multiple holes. (depending on decoy spread size) If I am hunting divers and puddle ducks at the same time, I will always set the diver decoys in a straight line on the outside edge from the puddle decoys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts