Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
and 3 hour drive tomorrow to refresh one that was left out last winter.

And some wonder why the rule change to the use of cameras has been put into law now. 🙄

May just be my thoughts, but, a "responsible/ethical outdoor person" would be more vigilant in placing cameras and actively babysitting them. But what the hay, lets set it and forget it. I call these people "RONCO" people.

If I see cameras in the woods after August 1st, someone wont need to go get it next summer.

I came off a little strong with this statement, but I am P-O'd that cameras can NOT be used for a fall bear hunt because dang stick flippers big game hunts begin the same day. What difference does it make if a bear tag holder sets a camera on a bait site and doesn't posses an archery tag? They'll get hammered for using one in attempting to know what is coming to the site. Bore, or Sow, and trying to take a bear the DWR wants you to.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[QUOTEi="taxidermist, post: 2249921, member: 5770"]

And some wonder why the rule change to the use of cameras has been put into law now. 🙄

May just be my thoughts, but, a "responsible/ethical outdoor person" would be more vigilant in placing cameras and actively babysitting them. But what the hay, lets set it and forget it. I call these people "RONCO" people.

If I see cameras in the woods after August 1st, someone wont need to go get it next summer.
[/QUOTE]
Please don't highjack my thread with petty threats.

·
Registered
905 Posts

I came off a little strong with this statement, but I am P-O'd that cameras can NOT be used for a fall bear hunt because dang stick flippers big game hunts begin the same day. What difference does it make if a bear tag holder sets a camera on a bait site and doesn't posses an archery tag? They'll get hammered for using one in attempting to know what is coming to the site. Bore, or Sow, and trying to take a bear the DWR wants you to.
Sorry you are so upset about your fall “bore” (😂) bear hunt.

Sometimes cameras get snowed in before I can get to them at 10,000.

Guides are the reason for the rule, promise.

Lastly, no one asked for your thoughts, nor do we care.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

Apparently you do. You responded back didn't you.

Your statement solidifies my point to the "T". "Sometimes cameras get snowed in before I can get to them at 10,000"

Ridge,
I'm not attempting to "Highjack" your thread at all. After all, is this not a public forum and therefore the "public" can respond, even if you don't like the content in the response? Sorry I hurt your feelings. I'll try to refrain using negative comments to "your threads" from now on. Talk about a snowflake. 🙄

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Apparently you do. You responded back didn't you.

Your statement solidifies my point to the "T". "Sometimes cameras get snowed in before I can get to them at 10,000"

Ridge,
I'm not attempting to "Highjack" your thread at all. After all, is this not a public forum and therefore the "public" can respond, even if you don't like the content in the response? Sorry I hurt your feelings. I'll try to refrain using negative comments to "your threads" from now on. Talk about a snowflake. 🙄
Thank you.👍

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
801 Posts
hopefully it's full of elk (and other critters) pics and not sheep and cattle. Very good trail. Excited to see what shows up.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
So why does a Hunter set out trail cams? And if your not a hunter, just an Outdoor enthusiast snapping photos of whatever walks through, is a very thin line IMO.
I pulled down the last of my cams last weekend. (that I could still retrieve. Turns out I had to leave 2 out of my 12 that I couldn’t get the locks off because I lost my keys last fall) I left my cams out year round for many years. One camera was out for 6 years in the same place. I enjoyed leaving them over the winter. You learn a lot about certain areas that otherwise you wouldn’t know. I have pics of bears walking around mid January at elevations of 9k. I have pics of all kinds of stuff that you wouldn’t otherwise see. Your ethics don’t apply to everyone else. And we didn’t need your permission to have cams out all year or whenever or for whatever, prior to this year. I’m sorry you’re bitter about the fall bear tag and you not being able to use it, but you applied for the tag, no one forced you. That’s just the hand you were dealt. Hunters put out cams because they work. They help you understand what areas are worth focusing on and what areas were a waste of time. But we can’t use them anymore, and that’s fine with me. Originally I wasn’t in favor of the ban. But thinking back through all the bullchit drama I’ve dealt with over the years from other entitled hunters who felt like they owned an area or animals because they had a cam up in a place before you did that particular year, I think it was a good move. The abuse of cams didn’t come from the general public. I blame 90% of the problems caused by cams on outfitters. Outfitters on public land in utah need to get gone! But that’s a topic for another day.

I am sad that I don’t get to do that activity with my family any more during the summer. It was a fun way to burn an afternoon and get the kid outside in the mountains.

anyone who comes across my 2 cams that I couldn’t remove, feel free to smash, shoot, report them or do whatever you feel appropriate. I don’t care. I’m not using them for hunting purposes anymore, the batteries are long dead at this point.

I haven’t decided what I’ll do with the cams I run across this fall. Probably turn them in to the lost and found. If I can’t run cams, then neither can anyone else 😎

I am certain ridge will use them ethically, responsibly and legally. I don’t understand why we are hijacking a thread with his cool pics when there’s 10 other threads out there that we’ve had this fight over already this year.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I pulled down the last of my cams last weekend. (that I could still retrieve. Turns out I had to leave 2 out of my 12 that I couldn’t get the locks off because I lost my keys last fall) I left my cams out year round for many years. One camera was out for 6 years in the same place. I enjoyed leaving them over the winter. You learn a lot about certain areas that otherwise you wouldn’t know. I have pics of bears walking around mid January at elevations of 9k. I have pics of all kinds of stuff that you wouldn’t otherwise see. Your ethics don’t apply to everyone else. And we didn’t need your permission to have cams out all year or whenever or for whatever, prior to this year. I’m sorry you’re bitter about the fall bear tag and you not being able to use it, but you applied for the tag, no one forced you. That’s just the hand you were dealt. Hunters put out cams because they work. They help you understand what areas are worth focusing on and what areas were a waste of time. But we can’t use them anymore, and that’s fine with me. Originally I wasn’t in favor of the ban. But thinking back through all the bullchit drama I’ve dealt with over the years from other entitled hunters who felt like they owned an area or animals because they had a cam up in a place before you did that particular year, I think it was a good move. The abuse of cams didn’t come from the general public. I blame 90% of the problems caused by cams on outfitters. Outfitters on public land in utah need to get gone! But that’s a topic for another day.

I am sad that I don’t get to do that activity with my family any more during the summer. It was a fun way to burn an afternoon and get the kid outside in the mountains.

anyone who comes across my 2 cams that I couldn’t remove, feel free to smash, shoot, report them or do whatever you feel appropriate. I don’t care. I’m not using them for hunting purposes anymore, the batteries are long dead at this point.

I haven’t decided what I’ll do with the cams I run across this fall. Probably turn them in to the lost and found. If I can’t run cams, then neither can anyone else 😎

I am certain ridge will use them ethically, responsibly and legally. I don’t understand why we are hijacking a thread with his cool pics when there’s 10 other threads out there that we’ve had this fight over already this year.
Yes I did apply for the tag, and it was prior to the new camera law. In reality, I couldn't give a fat rats backside of who or how one uses cameras. I've used them (3 for one year) to see what was in the area. I didn't see the advantage of them myself. I didn't have to have the cameras to find game, I already knew where to go.

Bears are a different type of hunt. I would like to see what's coming to a bait site before making a decision to take a shot. I'll go out on a limb by saying...I bet there will be more Sows shot this year than last year. I have seen sows come to bait and spend 10minutes, before calling to the cubs to follow. This is where a camera would be beneficial to the DWR in reducing the chance of a sow with cubs being killed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts