Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yes I did apply for the tag, and it was prior to the new camera law. In reality, I couldn't give a fat rats backside of who or how one uses cameras. I've used them (3 for one year) to see what was in the area. I didn't see the advantage of them myself. I didn't have to have the cameras to find game, I already knew where to go.

Bears are a different type of hunt. I would like to see what's coming to a bait site before making a decision to take a shot. I'll go out on a limb by saying...I bet there will be more Sows shot this year than last year. I have seen sows come to bait and spend 10minutes, before calling to the cubs to follow. This is where a camera would be beneficial to the DWR in reducing the chance of a sow with cubs being killed.
Lol

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Yes I did apply for the tag, and it was prior to the new camera law. In reality, I couldn't give a fat rats backside of who or how one uses cameras. I've used them (3 for one year) to see what was in the area. I didn't see the advantage of them myself. I didn't have to have the cameras to find game, I already knew where to go.

Bears are a different type of hunt. I would like to see what's coming to a bait site before making a decision to take a shot. I'll go out on a limb by saying...I bet there will be more Sows shot this year than last year. I have seen sows come to bait and spend 10minutes, before calling to the cubs to follow. This is where a camera would be beneficial to the DWR in reducing the chance of a sow with cubs being killed.
The last day to apply for a bear tag this year was February 22. The cam ban happened at the WB meeting in January prior to that deadline. Anyone who had been following along, knew that cams were almost 100% headed down the path to not being used as a tool for hunting. After the ban, a toddler sized temper tantrum took place and a petition to remove the ban was made, and the final meeting on the matter was held March 10th. You were on this site plenty prior to the initial ban and after. The choice was still made by you to apply for the tag you did. If you had applied for a spring or summer tag, you could have used the cam. I don’t agree with banning them for bear hunting. I agree that cams should be legal to use on a registered bait site by a tag holder, regardless the season, for the reasons you gave and more. But I honestly believe at this point, the division feels pressure to remove a significant amount of predators state wide. Killing sow’s will help accomplish that silent goal. I’m not saying it’s right or that I agree with it, but I doubt anyone will be too mad about a mature sow being killed on accident. Their defense on the matter is the same they have recently taken with swans. There’s an identification course required by the hunter to take prior to the hunt. It’s your responsibility to properly identify the animal you’re shooting at. If you can’t make a positive ID, you probably shouldn’t be shooting.

while we are on the topic, what unit is your tag for? If you have a Nebo tag, I’d be happy to help you out on a bait site suggestion in an area where a couple BIG boars are living. I had all but given up on my bear hunting days and had no interest in hunting them again… until I saw these guys. They have definitely got me thinking about it again.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
while we are on the topic, what unit is your tag for? If you have a Nebo tag, I’d be happy to help you out on a bait site suggestion in an area where a couple BIG boars are living. I had all but given up on my bear hunting days and had no interest in hunting them again… until I saw these guys. They have definitely got me thinking about it again.

I drew the Wasatch Central permit. This will be my second tag for the area. The last tag I possessed was in 1999. It was when you had to choose your weapon, and I had the Archery only tag and it was a great hunt. The season dates were pretty much spring, summer and fall. Had a bait station and had some real nice bears coming to it. Unfortunately, the big one I wanted would only come into the bait at night.
We also ran hounds a few miles away from the canyon I had the bait in, and tree'd 8 different bears, one being a big black colored one with the white chest and brown muzzle. I don't care for that color of bear and passed it up. Later, it came to bite me in the butt. I never killed a bear and ate tag soup. That bear I passed up, was shot a week later and it made the book. I drew that tag first time applying. Back then, it wasn't a real popular animal to hunt, and without hounds would be difficult. I was confident I would draw again in the next 8-10 years and get my wasatch bear. It's now 2022 and I finally drew again. Only took 16 points this time. 😩

I considered the Nebo unit, but I just don't have the ability to run up and down that deep sucker chasing hounds anymore. To many injuries from playing sports and motorcycle crashes have caught up with me in my "older age". Baiting would have been my choice for that unit, but I want the big blond bear I've seen the last three years on the wasatch. Either he died from old age if I don't find him, because if someone killed him, they would be bragging and showing it off. One of the best looking bears I've seen in my 50+ years of hunting.

As far as the trail cam changes, I was certain the change wouldn't have pertained to bears. After all they are not considered "big game" by the divisions description. Ya, I was pissed after contacting them and asking the question to be sure. I could blow it up and pitch a fit and do whatever else to try and let them know of my feelings about it, but what good does that do? Not a thing.

Sorry!!! I didn't intend to "high jack" the thread topic.

·
Registered
675 Posts

I drew the Wasatch Central permit. This will be my second tag for the area. The last tag I possessed was in 1999. It was when you had to choose your weapon, and I had the Archery only tag and it was a great hunt. The season dates were pretty much spring, summer and fall. Had a bait station and had some real nice bears coming to it. Unfortunately, the big one I wanted would only come into the bait at night.
We also ran hounds a few miles away from the canyon I had the bait in, and tree'd 8 different bears, one being a big black colored one with the white chest and brown muzzle. I don't care for that color of bear and passed it up. Later, it came to bite me in the butt. I never killed a bear and ate tag soup. That bear I passed up, was shot a week later and it made the book. I drew that tag first time applying. Back then, it wasn't a real popular animal to hunt, and without hounds would be difficult. I was confident I would draw again in the next 8-10 years and get my wasatch bear. It's now 2022 and I finally drew again. Only took 16 points this time. 😩

I considered the Nebo unit, but I just don't have the ability to run up and down that deep sucker chasing hounds anymore. To many injuries from playing sports and motorcycle crashes have caught up with me in my "older age". Baiting would have been my choice for that unit, but I want the big blond bear I've seen the last three years on the wasatch. Either he died from old age if I don't find him, because if someone killed him, they would be bragging and showing it off. One of the best looking bears I've seen in my 50+ years of hunting.

As far as the trail cam changes, I was certain the change wouldn't have pertained to bears. After all they are not considered "big game" by the divisions description. Ya, I was pissed after contacting them and asking the question to be sure. I could blow it up and pitch a fit and do whatever else to try and let them know of my feelings about it, but what good does that do? Not a thing.

Sorry!!! I didn't intend to "high jack" the thread top
The last day to apply for a bear tag this year was February 22. The cam ban happened at the WB meeting in January prior to that deadline. Anyone who had been following along, knew that cams were almost 100% headed down the path to not being used as a tool for hunting. After the ban, a toddler sized temper tantrum took place and a petition to remove the ban was made, and the final meeting on the matter was held March 10th. You were on this site plenty prior to the initial ban and after. The choice was still made by you to apply for the tag you did. If you had applied for a spring or summer tag, you could have used the cam. I don’t agree with banning them for bear hunting. I agree that cams should be legal to use on a registered bait site by a tag holder, regardless the season, for the reasons you gave and more. But I honestly believe at this point, the division feels pressure to remove a significant amount of predators state wide. Killing sow’s will help accomplish that silent goal. I’m not saying it’s right or that I agree with it, but I doubt anyone will be too mad about a mature sow being killed on accident. Their defense on the matter is the same they have recently taken with swans. There’s an identification course required by the hunter to take prior to the hunt. It’s your responsibility to properly identify the animal you’re shooting at. If you can’t make a positive ID, you probably shouldn’t be shooting.

I would celebrate a bunch of sows being harvested.
What we should have done is been more proactive during the ‘no cams for Bears’ discussions and had the ‘no bait containers allowed’ rule removed.
That would have been a very, very fair trade.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I don't see the negative impact that a camera creates as long as they are "tended" responsibly. Maybe a rule change/debate should be in the future that would require a "registration" for cameras. Hell, I don't know 🤷‍♂️ I'm not a "camera guy" and don't have a dog in the fight. But I enjoy seeing the pics shared from the cams here.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I don't see the negative impact that a camera creates as long as they are "tended" responsibly. Maybe a rule change/debate should be in the future that would require a "registration" for cameras. Hell, I don't know 🤷‍♂️ I'm not a "camera guy" and don't have a dog in the fight. But I enjoy seeing the pics shared from the cams here.
They should have never been banned for Bears.

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Targets, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
181 Posts
I’m lucky, I get to scout while archery elk hunting for my early rifle Buck tag area as one is just two weeks after the first hunt. Can’t be bored for a second because I got two jobs to do on that first tag. 🤠

21 - 35 of 35 Posts