Utah Wildlife Forum banner

401 - 414 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
If the truth be known, I'd guess that many, if not most, of you have already taken wildlife illegally! With the many forever changing federal, state, county and city ordinances regarding guns, archery, fences, cultivated property, wildlife, trespass, gates, definition of highways, watersheds, etc., at some point you've broken the law while hunting. So, let's be sure to add a few more!
Yeah but no one ever wants to even care to admit that. It’s everyone else that breaks the law, not them.

it would shock most of the proud “public land” hunters in this state If they knew how much ground they parked on, traveled across, hunted on or drove through, was actually private land.

every year I see groups of guys, 2, 3, even 4, shoot at a single deer or elk, until it falls over. Then 1 guy cuts a tag and the rest get to continue hunting for another. That’s by definition, “party hunting”. There are degrees of party hunting, and it’s certainly not the worst, but it is party hunting. Same is done with ducks. 3 guys go out together, everyone shoots until there’s 21 in the pile. Happens every day of the season.

the examples are endless. But those don’t count, I’m sure. It’s what everyone else is doing that’s the issue, breaking the law, making them “the problem”.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am amazed this topic is still floating along, some good points on all sides. The last time I had a confrontation with a big game hunter up until last year was when I was in high school around 1990 on the rifle hunt over a shot spike. That was my last rifle hunt figured it wasn't worth being in an overcrowded field with high powered rifles and orange vests all over. I have since devoted all big game to bow hunting. I've met some amazing other hunters eager to help on the mountains. I have run into others scouting an area I hunt and have placed them in tree stands I had already set up hoping they find success. I did have a confrontation over a guy in a ground blind who hadn't hunted his spot for two days but was upset on the third day he showed up because my boys were hunting close by. I feel like if you are looking for a conflict you will find one, I have done this in many other aspects aside from hunting unfortunately. Not my proudest moments, I try not to look for these any longer it disrupts the peace I find in the mountains and streams

I also take the time every chance i get once the mountains are accessible to scout and going where no one else wants to hike pays off. So I can't use salt anymore, big deal, improvise, adapt and overcome. Animals are still up there and in the same areas. Yea I think it sucks but having a law enforcement background laws exist and though I may not like them I try to obey them. I have two choices either do it or don't, I can't convince or prove my way is for anyone else but me. I won't let this hinderance affect my peace and serenity in the hobbies I love. To quote a wonderful prayer " Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardship as a pathway to peace...." Good luck hunting this year and enjoy the woods for what it offers.

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
Actually if 20 hunters are shooting at one deer and just one tags it that isn't party hunting as long as one person admits that it is his deer. How else would they figure out just who shot it? Call in CSI?

Party hunting is when a person shoots a deer that he does not tag and has no intention of tagging and finds another hunter who will tag it.

Private property is the big thing. A few years ago on here a member asked when the USFS started to sell USFS property. He had hunted up above Electric all his life and finally a new owner placed private property signs on the boundaries.

Your example with ducks is party hunting. A person should claim the ducks that he shot and actually keep them separate from the other hunters and once he reaches his limit he needs to put his shotgun down.

It is the same with fishing when there are more than one fishermen. When one reaches his limit he can continue to fish but he legally can not keep anymore fish to add to his friends limit. Now if he wants to cull fish out of a live well then he can keep the same amount of fish that he culls as long as the culls are still alive.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The wildlife board discussed the trail cam directive in the mule deer work session. Here are my thoughts on what they discussed:

They had a healthy discussion about the trail camera directive from the legislature. It is apparent that they want to still hear the feedback from the “average” Hunter on this and that the few questions asked in the technology survey they sent out is not enough to give them the public input they want. I would expect to see a specific trail camera survey on its own but not until after July or Aug. I could tell some of the board members wanted that information sooner, but it felt the DWR official felt like they had enough information from the technology survey they already sent out. In the end I think we will see a specific survey about trail cams and we all will have the opportunity to voice our concerns over the next 6 months.

Carry on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
750 Posts
My daughter and I both shot at a buck within one second of each other and we both hit it but hers was the kill shot and we got checked and it is not party hunting

·
Registered
620 Posts
My daughter and I both shot at a buck within one second of each other and we both hit it but hers was the kill shot and we got checked and it is not party hunting
Yeah that’s what every dad would say. “The kids shot is the one that killed it, not mine. Great shot kiddo! Now I can go find me one to shoot”.

I can’t wait until I get to shoot 2 bucks, 6 elk and whatever else me and my kid has tags for ;)

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
I believe it, I never shot any of my kid's animals. One time my youngest daughter shot a buck, the shot placement was too far forward, it went through both front shoulders and the brisket, it started circling a tree like it was tied to it, I told her to shoot it again, she did and it went down but tried to get back up and I told her to put one in the neck, that put it down, she made me promise not to tell anyone that it took her more than one shot to kill that deer since all of her others had been one shot kills.

Well, I kept the promise till now but she is 40 and she hasn't hunted since she got off her mission 18 years ago.

Reactions: 7MM RELOADED

·
Registered
620 Posts
I wasn’t aware party hunting with your kids was only bad when it’s their first deer. Thanks for the update 👍🏻

401 - 414 of 414 Posts