Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I put in for.....

1) 1532 - Rifle Buck Deer (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - Cache (Oct 17 - 25, 2015)
2) 1562 - Muzzleloader Buck Deer (MUZZLELOADER) - Cache (Sept 23 - Oct 1, 2015)
3) 1544 - Rifle Buck Deer (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - Ogden (Oct 17 - 25, 2015)

This is the result that I got....

UNSUCCESSFUL: General Season Buck Deer

*********************************************************************************************************

UNSUCCESSFUL: Limited Entry Buck Pronghorn

*********************************************************************************************************

UNSUCCESSFUL: Bull Moose

I really didn't think that I was asking for too much by applying for a general season unit that is often under drawn. Looks like I will be settling for the left overs come June 16th. The saddest part about this whole ordeal is that I have been a strong proponent to opportunity and always been on the side of getting out and doing some hunting rather than managing Utah like hunting is some type of exclusive sport for those who have the means. Fortunately this will be my last year of residency in this State. I feel that I did my part showing up to RAC meetings and and opposing all of the recent changes that have left me out on the side lines. I guess my points will be going to use now as I apply as a non-resident in this SFW controlled state. I am sure there is still a good battle to fight in Idaho, but at least I can fight it with a tag in my pocket.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Totally sucks. I feel for everyone who didn't draw. My buddy who has never hunted, and who I was going to mentor this year, also struck out. Hard to get into the sport if you can't hunt! I've had a couple years like that.

Not sure if it interests you, but there were a couple left over Ogden muzzy tags you could try to go after when they go on sale.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
that's rough! I had amazing luck this year but I feel for those who didn't get a tag. My dad struck out on deer too. Pretty sad. It's only going to be tougher in the years to come.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I feel your pain. I went 0 for 3 on my apps this year and didnt draw my general deer tag for 456. First time without a general rifle tag in 23 years. Im sucking it up and getting into the WY antelope draw and will try to pick up a left over muzzy tag for 456 as well as go for antlerless stuff as always but man...it didn't seem like a tag increase for deer this year for a bunch of us. Bummer.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
There's still opportunity for general bull and antlerless. If you want to go on an OTC black bear/ blacktail combo with a side of wild pigs out in Cali hit me up. Might be new to some folks but I've been batting zeros for a long time in about a half dozen western states. COME ON NEVADA( ya right).--------SS

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Sorry Namb... yes it is sad.

If you want to go on an OTC black bear/ blacktail combo with a side of wild pigs out in Cali hit me up. SS
I would think hard about shooters kind offer, it is a fun time for sure!8)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
This is the 2nd year in a row I didn't even pull a general archery deer tag....or any other tag for that matter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My hope is I will draw a Nevada antelope with 0 points... Or Utah cow elk with 1 point... or Utah doe pronghorn with 2 points...

·
Registered
197 Posts
That sucks,not even a general season buck tag.. that's weak.:shock: I feel for you.. this was my sons last year for youth bull rifle hunt and no dice.. he was bummed out, 5 yrs of donating a $10 handling fee I guess..

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
if it's this hard for folks that play by the rules to draw a tag then i can see why this state has such a problem with poaching. people can rationalize anything, especially if they feel they've been treated unfairly or that their rights have been violated.

good luck in the leftovers or antlerless to those that didn't draw out.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Leaves you wondering where that extra 2000 deer tags went.
I think it's because of the higher buck/doe ratio the DWR posted in their news release. We were under a 10/100 ratio before option 2 and now we are over 20/100 statewide. People are excited about this and more people are probably applying.
Also, more people are using the point system loophole now and getting tags over those who have zero points.
I'm guessing Nambaster had zero points this year.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's because of the higher buck/doe ratio the DWR posted in their news release. We were under a 10/100 ratio before option 2 and now we are over 20/100 statewide. People are excited about this and more people are probably applying.
Also, more people are using the point system loophole now and getting tags over those who have zero points.
I'm guessing Nambaster had zero points this year.
Yep 0 points, but I don't think that numbers are so low that I should sit the year out. Makes me feel like a ciminal...

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Yep 0 points, but I don't think that numbers are so low that I should sit the year out. Makes me feel like a ciminal...
Like I said before, it's not that numbers are lower but more people are getting excited about hunting deer again. Now that more bucks are being seen in the field.
I would be pretty sad if I didn't get to hunt deer in my first choice area too but you do still have some options to hunt somewhere.
Makes you fell like a criminal? Please!!!*\\-\\*

·
Registered
27 Posts
This has been the case for the last 10+ years if you hunt anywhere in the old "southern" unit.

If you dont look at the odds and figure out which areas to put in for that guarantee a chance for a buck tag. That is in you, not the system.

I cant hunt my favorite unit every year. Its now takes 3+ years for a general season deer tag. So instead of complaining, I figured out what I had to do to make sure I can put meat in my freezer every year.

·
Registered
580 Posts
This has been the case for the last 10+ years if you hunt anywhere in the old "southern" unit.

If you dont look at the odds and figure out which areas to put in for that guarantee a chance for a buck tag. That is in you, not the system.

I cant hunt my favorite unit every year. Its now takes 3+ years for a general season deer tag. So instead of complaining, I figured out what I had to do to make sure I can put meat in my freezer every year.
I kind of agree with this. Anybody that has been lucky enough to draw a general season rifle tag every single year for the last 20+ years is one lucky duck. I did that for a long time and then had to sit out completely one year. It sucked! So now I pay more attention to what is going on in the area I want to hunt, and what my points will get me. This year is a prime example. I really wanted a rifle tag and put that as my first choice of course. Didn't think I would have a very good chance so I put archery as my second choice.

I was right, I didn't get the rifle tag, but did get an archery tag. It may end up being more of a scouting year than anything, but at least I get to carry my bow just in case the stars align.

How many times have many of us said that we would be willing to sit out a year here or there if it meant more and/or better bucks? Most of us have probably said that at one time or another but we don't like it when it's our turn to sit.

Understandable, but I personally would still much rather have it this way than have unlimited tags.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Kind of disingenuous to blame the applicant, especially if they are applying for tags which historically have been 100% draw. Couple that with the fact that many can use the point system to stay ahead of other applicants and always draw a tag. How many tags go to people who do not have to wait? Up to 12,000 dedicated, 4,500 lifetimers, up to 16,000 tags for youth only, and 8,000+- applicants getting tags and not using their points. That is almost 50% of the permits possibly going to people outside of the "mainstream" draw. Sure those applicants were -willing to draw a ded. tag, were able to buy a license 20 years ago, or know how to work the system. The fact remains, the mainstream draw for 18+ year olds who don't understand how the system works are not in the running for a lot of permits.

It is all changing-- that is what happens when the herd is growing and permits are not. A person has to play the application game to be assured a permit. Sad that this is what it has come to. Even more so when the management objectives mandate an increase in permits, yet the decision makers oppose the increases because of "pet-unit" feelings. (And I'd say the same if the herds were declining and the decision makers went against permit cuts.)

Just showing a different perspective to consider. I think we'd all feel bummed to get our first UN after decades of general season tags. Maybe some of the new-hunters might see it differently....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts