Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
What,,,,,you can't reuse my title.....

I would love to head to Alaska for a brown bear hunt but for what that hunt cost I can go over to Africa 3 or 4 times.

Good luck when you tell Mrs. Cake, make sure that she doesn't have anything in her hands when you tell her.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
What,,,,,you can't reuse my title.....

I would love to head to Alaska for a brown bear hunt but for what that hunt cost I can go over to Africa 3 or 4 times.

Good luck when you tell Mrs. Cake, make sure that she doesn't have anything in her hands when you tell her.
Wait, what?...really, seriously Critter, what might a guy expect to pay at the end of the day for a decent African adventure. Not talking Lion or Elephant, just a Buff, and some of the other species. I really have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
Wait, what?...really, seriously Critter, what might a guy expect to pay at the end of the day for a decent African adventure. Not talking Lion or Elephant, just a Buff, and some of the other species. I really have no idea.
Not to derail JC's thread, but my hunt for $6400 includes 12 plains game animals. A buff hunt can be done for $10,000 and up depending on what you are actually after. But I will say if you are going after any of the Big 5 then you will spend some premium dollars. The Big 5 consist of lion, cape buffalo, elephant, rino, and leopard.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Thanks Critter, I don't suspect Cake will mind. He is probably just as curious as the rest of us. I guess the $6400 is just for the outfitter/tags etc. So we would add airfare, etc on top?

·
Super Moderator
3,313 Posts
To Cold Bay. Made my reservations this week. Going to be there for two weeks in October chasing brown bears, cacklers, brant, and to try to settle a score with an emperor.

Mrs. Cake doesn't know this yet. I might tell her in a couple months. Maybe in late September.
Sounds like quite the adventure!! After seeing your flair for culinary masterpieces, any plans with the bear meat?

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
Thanks Critter, I don't suspect Cake will mind. He is probably just as curious as the rest of us. I guess the $6400 is just for the outfitter/tags etc. So we would add airfare, etc on top?
Yep, for my hunt the budget is $13,000, and that is getting what I want mounted home to my taxidermist.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like quite the adventure!! After seeing your flair for culinary masterpieces, any plans with the bear meat?
Not sure I want to play the freight to ship it home if I get one. But I might keep a chunk or two, depending on how it smells.

And Critter, my budget all in on this hunt is sub $1200 + 10k Alaska Airlines miles. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
Not sure I want to play the freight to ship it home if I get one. But I might keep a chunk or two, depending on how it smells.

And Critter, my budget all in on this hunt is sub $1200 + 10k Alaska Airlines miles. ;)
Rub it in, being a resident of Alaska does have it's benefits.

It's about like if I draw my Utah bison tag and have the pay the $2500 or whatever it it is for the tag now vs a residents cost.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I might have to see how many of those Alaskan Air miles will be coming my way for a fishing trip before I decide if I am going to be the one to tell Mrs Cake about this adventure...

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck, cake! Baby that rifle scope and be careful!
Who said anything about bringing a gun with a s**** on it?! I might be dumb enough to fall victim to that at least twice, but I'll be darned before I let that screw me up again---especially on a coastal brown bear. Iron sights on the .45-70 ought to do the trick nicely.

And Vanillabean, ain't no way Mrs. Cake believes a dusty old fart like you. Besides, I just bought her a house and a new car so I've got some capital stocked up right now. She's lucky I ain't trying to go for an elephant!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Nice trip. The waterfowl part is intriguing. I may be up for an emperor if they ever increase non-res allocations.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice trip. The waterfowl part is intriguing. I may be up for an emperor if they ever increase non-res allocations.
Yeah the 1% non-resident draw odds are a tough one to think about. One more thing to add to the list of why it's good to be an Alaska resident!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts