Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't hunted jack rabbits in years but my little brother wants me to take him out, I was just wondering if there was a boundary for jack rabbits. Last time I went out I was with people that knew a good place, I have never had to find somewhere to go on my own. Any help would be great. Thanks in advanced.

· Administrator
11,597 Posts
If all else fails look at the small game regulations, even for jacks that don't have a season or limits.

As for boundries, pay attention to private property

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

· Administrator
11,597 Posts
This thread is a couple of years old but the old way of finding jacks is the same as always. Take a drive around the back roads until you find a place where there are a number of them dead along the roads that have a lot of sagebrush draws and in the flats. Then take a hike to see what you flush out.

When I was in high school jack rabbit hunting was a passion with a group of us. At that time we hunted Cedar Valley past what is now Eagle Mountain along with Dog Valley to the west of Nephi. Both areas were quite productive for jacks and even cotton tails. I would always manage a few cotton tails to take home for a good dinner.

But remember that for cotton tails you need a small game license and that there is a season and limit on them.

· Registered
9 Posts
This has been my first year chasing jacks, and it has been fun. I try to eat what I kill, and I tried jacks.. good for those that like them. I will try them again just to be sure, but wow. The flavor was very pungent lol.

That being said, how have the numbers been for everyone this year? I found what I believe to be a pretty good spot and I’m usually seeing 10-20 rabbits every outing. How does this compare to others?

· Registered
11 Posts
This has been my first year chasing jacks, and it has been fun. I try to eat what I kill, and I tried jacks.. good for those that like them. I will try them again just to be sure, but wow. The flavor was very pungent lol.

That being said, how have the numbers been for everyone this year? I found what I believe to be a pretty good spot and I’m usually seeing 10-20 rabbits every outing. How does this compare to others?
Man, that's way better than what I've seen. I've been out about every other weekend since there's been snow and I've seen maybe 10 rabbits TOTAL. I've been mostly hunting in the Rush Valley area, south of Tooele. What area are you in, if you don't mind (I don't want a gps pin drop lol, just a general range would be fine haha)? Planning on going this weekend up by the Magnesium plant a little further north. May not eat those ones though, what with all the chlorine and stuff being expelled up there.

Also, if you don't want to eat the jacks you shoot, I'll take em haha. Jackrabbit back straps go toe-to-toe with elk for me (controversial opinion, I know. Covid messed up my taste buds I think).

· Registered
9 Posts
Man, that's way better than what I've seen. I've been out about every other weekend since there's been snow and I've seen maybe 10 rabbits TOTAL. I've been mostly hunting in the Rush Valley area, south of Tooele. What area are you in, if you don't mind (I don't want a gps pin drop lol, just a general range would be fine haha)? Planning on going this weekend up by the Magnesium plant a little further north. May not eat those ones though, what with all the chlorine and stuff being expelled up there.

Also, if you don't want to eat the jacks you shoot, I'll take em haha. Jackrabbit back straps go toe-to-toe with elk for me (controversial opinion, I know. Covid messed up my taste buds I think).
After seeing the other thread, I will send you a PM. You’ll have to tell me how you’re cooking the jacks too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts