Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever fished Jackson Lake this time of year? What should I expect? I'm heading up there next week and will be cruising around on a boat for three days. Species? Tactics? Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Its been years ago so check the regs, but we would just use "ciscos" or similar size piece of sucker meat and cast it out and let is sit. We used a large single hook inside. We used to fish from the islands. Cast out from shore and leave the spool open. I miss those trips with my grandfather.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
We use to take the kids there after school let out. Camped at Signal Mountain a lot. Fished in a small 12-foot aluminum boat usually from the launch at Signal to Donoho (sic) over into Spalding Bay. Later we got a bigger boat and just camped in it out on the lake at one of the designated boat camp sites.

Used pop gear for nice cutthroats and small macs. Used mostly 1/2 oz white jigs with sucker meat for bigger macs. The fishing below the dam is really good especially if you have some heavy duty tailwater gear or use big slip bobbers.

I don't boat there anymore; too crowded, too many tourists. Signal Mountain and Colter Bay were "bear proof" camp grounds last I knew.

Years ago National Geographic was filming a segment for a video/TV series on all of the National Parks. They were at Jackson Lake (Grand Teton N. P.) and filmed my wife and kids swimming and wading in the icy June waters of Jackson Lake around Colter Bay. kinda cool

Reactions: MuscleWhitefish

·
1,666 Posts
We use to take the kids there after school let out. Camped at Signal Mountain a lot. Fished in a small 12-foot aluminum boat usually from the launch at Signal to Donoho (sic) over into Spalding Bay. Later we got a bigger boat and just camped in it out on the lake at one of the designated boat camp sites.

Used pop gear for nice cutthroats ans small macs. Used mostly 1/2 oz white jigs with sucker meat for bigger macs. The fishing below the dam is really good especially if you have some heavy duty tailwater gear or use big slip bobbers.

I don't boat there anymore; too crowded, too many tourists. Signal Mountain and Colter Bay were "bear proof" camp grounds last I knew.

Years ago National Geographic was filming a segment for a video/TV series on the National Parks at Jackson Lake (Grand Teton N. P.) My wife and kids were filmed swimming and wading in the icy June waters of Jackson Lake around Colter Bay. kinda cool

Below the dam is fantastic fishing.

Last time I was there a kid (6-8 year old) hooked into a sucker that was nearly as tall as he was on a dinky walmart kids pole. I hooked into a few mac pups using spoons and caught a few cutty's on panther martins.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks for the tips guys. This won't be primarily a fishing trip, but I'm gonna try my hardest to make it one. I'll let you know how I do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts