Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s the January WB agenda. Looks like they finally want to define what an acceptable use of trail cams are/is

Interesting now they want to allow guys to be able to apply for and obtain both antlerless and antlered permits for pronghorn, moose, sheep in the same year.… wonder how many guys that hosed in the past? It’s got me a couple times for pronghorn. Almost for moose. It probably finally impacted the right person, so now it’s time to fix it.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I’ve got to know: which CWMU was using antlerless control tags to increase their allotment of cow elk tags?
Clearly it was a conflict, but the way I read the existing regs it should never have needed a clarification since CWMUs are their own units (and therefore cannot be lands located within one of the 7 antlerless control units). Some people's children

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Some CWMU operator telling his buddies at the end of the year to buy control tags and come kill cows he didn’t get permits for.
Which if that were the case is an even worse, deliberate violation as the antlerless control tags are only valid if you have a buck, bull or OIAL tag in that same unit. So really to try and make the argument that it was allowed on the cwmu they'd need a buck/bull tag on the cwmu first... Which is still wrong because cwmus aren't part of any of the 7 control units.

I can't wait to hear what actual stupidity led to this. It's probably almost as bad as calling a janitor in a DWR office across the state to ask permission to hunt sheep in a closed unit

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
It may not have anything to do with the subject but I know of one particular instance this year where a hunting party was confronted on a CWMU that had private land elk tags. Their excuse was that it was good for any private land in the state.
Their information was forwarded to the DWR.
Some peoples children indeed.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
It may not have anything to do with the subject but I know of one particular instance this year where a hunting party was confronted on a CWMU that had private land elk tags. Their excuse was that it was good for any private land in the state.
Their information was forwarded to the DWR.
Some peoples children indeed.
Good grief, that's probably it. Even the private land only tags are specific to the unit (which the cwmu is not a part of).

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Believe me.....a lot of the people that buy the private land cow tags think that it gives them access to anybody's place they want. They drive around gates, across meadows, and think they can go anywhere they want.
We have had quite a problem with that in our area.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I don't know of any CWMU operator that would ever wish for more cow elk permits. Most of them hate the one's they have to take to qualify for their bull tags. ------SS
I get that. It’s different if you tell your buddies that you have a small herd of cows hanging out late in the season and just go buy some private land tags and come hunt. Just hypothesizing as to why they needed to “clarify” an already extremely clear rule.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The first deadline for comment is the Central RAC. Due on Thanksgiving by midnight. Watch and comment to the RAC!

I have a hard time understanding how the DWR gets away with a lack of communicating these recommendations proactively. I happened to check the DWR page. Some see posts on forums like this. The 99% of Utah hunters are oblivious that changes are even bring recommend. They send an email out to all hunters to "apply". Why not let everyone know when there are recommended changes happening?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts