Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new stove to use in the back country. I like what I've read and researched on the Jetboil stove. Those who have one or have used one, what are your thoughts? If you have other brands that you would suggest, I'm all ears. Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
One of the neatest things I own. gdog turned me onto them a few years back and now I have all the sizes. Use them traveling, in the boat, duck blinds, everywhere.

I can get a lot more boils out of a bottle of fuel with the Jetboil vs other stoves.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
I love my JetBoil! I've used a couple different MSRs for the last 25 years and when I got my JetBoils I couldn't believe how fast it boiled and how long a canister lasted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love the Jetboil stoves. I have both the zip and the flash. The stove heats water fast and combined with the mountain house meals I usually eat on backpacking and hunting trips, its perfect for me. Lightweight and stows great except for the larger fuel can, it won't pack away in the cup like the smaller one. The fuel bottles last longer than most of their competitors as well. The best stove out there in my opinion, can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Jet boils rock. I usually pack a mountain house meal for my lunch away from camp while i'm hunting. fire the jet boil up and in no time flat your ready to eat. nothing like sitting on top of a peak eating a mountain house meal for lunch!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hadn't seen the Zip Jetboil before....great size for backpacking. Normally only boiling water or cooking oatmeal, so really don't need a bigger cup. Too bad they didn't include the igniter with that model. Might have to pick up one of those cups to use with the burner I already have.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply's, I appreciate everyone's input. I decided to go with the Jetboil flash. I'll give it a test run this weekend on my scouting trip.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for making me Google this jet boil gimmick. Now I have one being shipped to my house. After watching you tube videos I saw just how handy and efficient this would help on a long hunt/hike. I had to burn up a bass pro gift card somehow.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
We use our a ton outside of hunting/camping as well. I always take it in the truck when we go skiing, sledding or atv/snowmobiles with the kids. Real quick to make hot chocolate or coffee.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
Hadn't seen the Zip Jetboil before....great size for backpacking. Normally only boiling water or cooking oatmeal, so really don't need a bigger cup. Too bad they didn't include the igniter with that model. Might have to pick up one of those cups to use with the burner I already have.
My ignitor on my JetBoil seldom works. It was that way new out of the box, just wouldn't start; same as my chainsaws, gas-powered ice auger and every lawn mower and weed whacker I ever owned. So I'm good with it it.

Geeze, what a whiner. Do I seem snarky lately?

Uh....Way2go hondo; good choice.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Goob, not sure if you are being facetious about starting 2-cycle engines or not but they are simple to start if you follow the procedure exactly. First, always use an exact mix as recommended by the manufacturer. They will run better and with full power. That annoying hesitation, even stalling out, when you give it the gas can be caused from a bad mixture. Cold starting goes like this...full choke on and pull till it "pops" once, do not pull again until you move choke to either half of off!If you pull just one more time before you move the choke off you can/will flood the engine and she just won't want to start.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
Goob, not sure if you are being facetious about starting 2-cycle engines or not but they are simple to start if you follow the procedure exactly. First, always use an exact mix as recommended by the manufacturer. They will run better and with full power. That annoying hesitation, even stalling out, when you give it the gas can be caused from a bad mixture. Cold starting goes like this...full choke on and pull till it "pops" once, do not pull again until you move choke to either half of off!If you pull just one more time before you move the choke off you can/will flood the engine and she just won't want to start.
Yeah thanks, I'm not gonna be a smart ass and tell ya I know all that but let me say this: I have this thing with small combustion engines. You take any small combustion engine, run it, shut it off, and then hand it to me. I won't touch anything but the starting rope and it won't start...I bet 20 bucks. Come see me. Wear long sleeve shirt to minimize the gooseflesh.

They just don't start, even new out of the box. You'd have to witness it to believe it. I've learned to live with it. My hunting buddies start my Honda generators and my grandkids start my weed whacker and chain saws for me...geezus, my wife's schnauzer can start my Honda generator.

I own dozens, perhaps hundreds, of gizmos with piezoelectric ignitors. They only work if I'm barefoot standing in a puddle of water and I got a hold of them with bare sweaty hands, thank you.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
lol
my dad cant start them either. I think he buys a new lawnmower, chainsaw and trimmer every year. Only buys walmart junk though cause he knows it aint going to ever start again ha ha.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts