Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got off work early and went down to the river to wet my line and appease the fishing monkey on my back. (evil monkey, he never leaves me alone). I usually just chuck in a worm and drink a beer, but i was feeling adventurous today. I tied on a rapala and chucked er' out. Got a 6" white bass on my first cast. Chucked er' out again and got another small white. 3rd times a charm. On my third cast in the exact same spot i hooked into something much larger than 6". I thought it must have been a hungry channel, or possibly a walleye (i have been catching a few in there now and then). But this fish was fightin' and i knew right away it weren't no eye or channel. I let the drag loose because i wanted this fight to last. After about 5 minutes i had my quarry at hand. A huge German Brown!!! _(O)_ _(O)_ :p :lol: !!!! I had heard they were in there, but had serious doubts, UNTIL NOW. It measured 19 1/2". His color was kind of shabby, i guess from living in such shabby water, but he was healthy and fat. I wish i had my camera, or even my cell phone (i usually leave it home so my wife cant call and ask the inevitable "when are you coming home").

I hate that it gets dark so early now. I have two young'uns, and the only time i have to fish is usually right after work. Now right after work is usually pitch black, *sigh*

But at least i got that hog today. It makes my monkey happy :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Awesome! It's nice to get surprised by a beauty when you're fishing for the rough ones.

I have a spot close to my work that produces browns in the darndest places. Good job.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nice job on that big brown. The Jordan is a fun little river to fish beacause you never know what you're going to get. I hope that between casts and the big fight with that brown, you still got to down a beer.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
You know J-Bass.... Jazz fan or not... I'm really starting to like you. 8) I agree... great job on the brown. They are some super tough fish and its very surprising the places they find inhabitable.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Out of curiousity, why would you loosen the drag to prolong the fight? It shouldn't take anywhere near 5 minutes to land a 19" brown on spin tackle.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
ScottyP said:
Out of curiousity, why would you loosen the drag to prolong the fight? It shouldn't take anywhere near 5 minutes to land a 19" brown on spin tackle.
That all depends what size line you are using. If he was using 2 or 4 pound line that could easily take that long. I caught a 20 inch brown at Deer Creek the other week on ten pound and I was able to horse it right in. So it all depends.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had on 6 lb. test which would have easily handled it, but sometimes i just like to hear that drag scream i guess. If I had known it was a trout i probably wouldnt have done this, because I know it puts more stress on them :oops: . but i figured it was a channel, and those **** things can take a .45 to the brain and live i swear.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He was only just hooked in the lip, and he swam away the second his bottom fin hit the water, so he was A O.K. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts