Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a 16" Tiger Trout OR Splake out of Jordenelle on Sunday. I was stoked to get a new species.. I did not know they were in there.. I wonder if it swam the weber canal from rockport and dumped out into Jordenelle or if it was stocked into the lake when they stock rainbows..i got a pic but i don't how to upload ..let me know.. any one hear of tigers or splake in jordenelle.. ??

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats on the new species, hope your able to post the pic. Was that the only fish you caught? On the ice? From shore? On the water?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I've never heard of that. If it was a tiger, it may be a natural hybrid from upstream. Everybody knows that browns are in Jordanelle...The upper Provo has brookies...

That's my only guess. I suppose it's possible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres the pic,we caught tons of rainbows and a few med. browns.. and this guy. fun times..[attachment=0:twviml9i]tiger trout jordenelle3.jpg[/attachment:twviml9i]

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Well, it's not a tiger. I really don't think it looks much like a rainbow either. The speckles are really strange for a bow. I'm honestly thinking splake.

The green on the head looks like a bow, but the muted yellowish coloration and strange spots scream splake. How would a splake end up in Jordanelle?

I might not know what I'm talking about though. I've been tricked by fish from the nelle before.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea it's no rainbow... it must be a splake that was stocked unintentionally. cool.. this is what a rainbow from the nelle looks like..

·
Registered
952 Posts
Interesting fish you caught. Im not sure what it is. To me it looks more on the tiger side. It doesnt look much like any splake I have ever caught but I could definately be wrong. I wonder what it is! On a side note that is a pretty looking bow!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
So here's a picture of a small splake:

vs your fish:

So here's my best guess: I really don't know.

Char have a darker body with lighter spots and trout have a lighter body with darker spots.

This isn't a splake. It would have to be a trout of some type. Maybe it is a tiger, but I've never seen a tiger with speckles instead of crazy squiggles. From the angle, there may be some connected spots, but I can't really tell. Did it have connected dots? If so, it's a tiger.

Maybe a brown that hasn't colored up yet?

Maybe it's an ugly rainbow with dull spots in the shape of a brown's???

No idea. Thanks for posting the photo, I'm interested in what others say.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It is a fish. :shock: :shock: :lol:

I don't know what it is :?: The tail is not forked enough to be a splake and it doesn't look like a tiger. It has a head of a rainbow.

Maybe this is the elusive Brown/Bow every one always argues about. :twisted:

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's not a splake, a splake is a cross between a brook and a lake trout both being char,
Char have dark colored bodies with light colored spots, so with both parents being char splake have dark bodies with light spots
This fish has a light colored body with dark spots, I caught a tiger trout that was almost void of the typical markings
I would guess it is a tiger, the head and tail look like a tiger trout, a rainbow and cutthroat or a hybred of the two have more spots in the tail

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
It looks like a mix of everything...Skeet4L caught a different one awhile ago. His was also hard to identify...It's hard to tell if they're the same breed though..

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1643

·
Registered
713 Posts
Also Splake have the red fins with white tips that has clear ones. and look closely and you'll see rainbow markings pink stripe, and the spots look like a rainbows

·
Registered
81 Posts
Char have a darker body with lighter spots and trout have a lighter body with darker spots
Zactly! -*|*- It must be some kind of Rainbow, Cutthroat, Brown or combination of same. No, it doesn't look like that big beautiful rainbow in BTU's photo, but it does look like a rainbow just the same.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts