Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I headed out tonight after work to walk some canals and a river. I haven't been able to get out much due to work, kids, and the wifey's school. I finally had a few hours a decided to use them. Got to the canal and immediately two drake shovlers came off the water. I dumped one and the other was gone before I could line up a shot. This is my first drake shoveler, not the prettiest drake but I'll take him. Later I saw a group of geese coming in about 500 yards out and they were headed in my direction. I knew they were too high but I kneeled down and waited to see what they would do. I couldn't believe it when they started cupping and coming in right in front of me. About 50 yards out the leveled off at about thirty yards high and came right over the top of me. I took a bead and dropped my first goose ever. *(())* *(())* I was so excited to see him fall I didn't even think to try for another one. After my celebration and acting like a three old on christmas I gathered him up and started back to the truck. 20 minutes from the truck a gruop of hen mallards came off the canal and I dropped one of those. (sorry for the hen mallard to all of you who hate that). It was a great few hours and did wonders for my spirits I was hurtin bad for the outdoors fix, and taken the birds was just icing on the cake.
[attachment=0:7et69d6y]first goose.jpg[/attachment:7et69d6y][attachment=1:7et69d6y]goose.jpg[/attachment:7et69d6y]

So a question for the taxidermists. About what would it cost to get this goose mounted just standing with some vegetation behind him?

I'm not sure if I could swing the cost right now being christmas has drained the funds. So is wrapping the head and feet in wet paper towels, tucking the head and freezing him whole the best way to preserve him?

I know the pics aren't the best and I could get more but, is the goose in a mountable condition in your opinion?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Dude... friggin sweet!!! Way to go! Don't worry about the hen... it all looks the same breasted out. :lol: Glad you got out and got your fix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A taxidermist can do wonders even if the bird is in not the best shape. I have my first goose standing on my dresser in my room. It is a basic standing mount with a mud base and some corn husks and parts of a cob. It looks sweet and I love looking at it every morning. I believe I had the wilderness taxidermy guy do mine. He lives in syracuse. He runs about 250-300 dollars for a goose mount, but that was like 4 years ago. He did an amazing job and would recommend him to my buddies. I have never used Tex or Stuffinducks but have seen there mounts and they also do some awesome birds. My advice is you get what you pay for and I learned this the hard way on a redhead I had done.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TagmBagm said:
My advice is you get what you pay for and I learned this the hard way on a redhead I had done.
I'm not so worried about the price as far as who is the cheapest. I'm just looking for a good quote so I can finance it into the budget. I would rather pay and have a good mount than save and regret it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Then I would go with either Dan at wilderness taxidermy, Tex-O-Bob, or Stuffinducks. You can call dan and get a quote by just looking up taxidermists in the yellow pages. You can also PM Tex and Stuffinducks. I don't know how far they are behind, but I know that last year Dan had bumped his duck price up because he had so many to do. He had about a year worth of work in his shop. Most taxidermists only make you pay half when you take it in and the other half when you pick it up.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
TagmBagm said:
Then I would go with either Dan at wilderness taxidermy, Tex-O-Bob, or Stuffinducks. You can call dan and get a quote by just looking up taxidermists in the yellow pages. You can also PM Tex and Stuffinducks. I don't know how far they are behind, but I know that last year Dan had bumped his duck price up because he had so many to do. He had about a year worth of work in his shop. Most taxidermists only make you pay half when you take it in and the other half when you pick it up.
Tagm... do you have a picture you can throw on of that goose mount? Is that the only bird Dan has done for you? I have one more bird to have done and I'm looking for ideas. There is also a guy whos work I've seen in Centerville or thereabouts who had some really good stuff in his house and shop while I was there that I'd like to get in contact with as well. He did some of Dkhntrdstn's stuff if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well here is a couple of pictures of my goose. I shot it on pearl harbor day four years ago with my cousin and his friend. This one coame out of the first flock of the day and was the biggest goose we bagged even out of all three limits. Too bad he did not have some bling cause the other two geese we dropped out of his flock had a little bit of jewelry.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Thats the one.... do you have a # for Joe? When we dropped off those quail, I saw some things I really liked out in his shop. Whats the name of his place? I thought about looking him up online but don't know if his studio has a website... not that it matters... what I saw there was good enough for me. Tagm... that goose looks very cool!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nothing like dropping your first goose. Took me a lot of trips and a lot of $$$ before I got my first one down. Nice job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts