Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much to look at but it took me so long to get it to work I'm posting it anyway.

[youtube:29ucgt0t]http://www.youtube.com/v/Saxpf5pAcsk&rel=1[/youtube:29ucgt0t]

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Thats pretty cool. Good job on getting her fetching up that duck. My dog does that too occasionally... letting that duck go and kinda "catting" with it... to see if it'll run. 8)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Riverrat77 said:
Thats pretty cool. Good job on getting her fetching up that duck. My dog does that too occasionally... letting that duck go and kinda "catting" with it... to see if it'll run. 8)
I think we were both surprized when it ran off. One of those shots where a broken wing was the only damage. Makes you realize how much ground a wounded duck can cover when it wants to.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thats a cool video I wish I could post video..I can barely do still pics..

Today taking the yellowdog out for a christmas eve walk trying to catch the storm front when it arrived. I was just a few hours early for that.
But walking out along a dike the dog is doing her hunting when she spooks a wounded hen
canvasback out on to the ice. I wish I had my videocam..It was running and sliding and she was hot on its tail slipping and sliding. I was just waiting for her to break through but the can decided to try to make it to cover..It didnt make it. So that makes the dog 1 canvasback this year and me 0 this year.
But the season still goes on so theres still a chance for me to score one.
She also got to assist some fellow hunters and retrieve up there Canvasback hen they knocked down across a deep water canal. Dogs make it look so easy.
I will give those guys credit they were really trying to find a way to get that bird and not just say Oh well...

I think in all she has found about 2 limits of crips this year just hunting the dike edges and working the phrag.
Does that mean I need to get her a license and duck stamp for next year?
If so since shes now 5 can I take her on the youth hunt?

I hope everyone has a Great Holiday and a successfull Newyear

Spry

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spry,

Glad to see you're getting out, I haven't heard from you for a while. I agree that hunting with a dog is the only way to go! As you can see I also have a "spry yellowdog". This is her first season so I wasn't expecting much but she has retrieved a bunch of birds in all weather conditions and different types of cover and I know that there are many birds I would have lost without her.

I've been lucky and bagged two drake Cans this year. Abby retrieved them both.

I read a story once where two guys went hunting on a lake and the dog caught two limits of birds (cripples) without the men firing one shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts