Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few questions.

1st he seems to have a dominance problem, if he has a bone or a toy he growls at everyone even showing his teeth and posturing us especially my kids. How do I break him of that? He seems to be a good dog and well trained, but I can't have him biting my kids. The reason I got him was because his previous owner went out of town and was having some neighborhood kids take care of him, they are still out of town, but when the kids would go in to feed him and take him out he would growl and try and bite them. So the owner called me up and said if I can get him out I could take him to the pound or keep him, I decided to keep him, he was very friendly to me once I was able to calm him down. I think he must have seperation anxioty or something.

2nd how good of bird dogs are they? Are they easy to work with, he is about 1.5 to 2 years old.\

Any advice would be great thanks!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
if he has a bone or a toy he growls at everyone even showing his teeth and posturing us especially my kids. How do I break him of that?
Right now it sounds like he's in charge. He's the Alpha male and if you cross him yer gonna pay. That crap CAN NOT STAND!

Step one: Get him a nut-ectomy asap.

Step two: You need to show him you are the alpha male and that you do not tolerate any aggression at all. If he so much as bares his teeth at you or your kids you need to pounce on him and get in his asss. Be careful though, if you don't know what you're doing you could get eaten.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congrats on the "Grey Ghost" new member of your pack! I agree with Tex. You need to make it perfectly clear in his mind of who is "The Boss" of the pack and where he fits in the food chain! Watch the "dog whisperer", he goes over some of the "pack" and alpha member stuff

My brother breeds Weimeraners in Washington state. He does not hunt with them, he just has them as pets since he and his wife cannot have kids. He has offered me one in the past, but at that time I did not want to add another pet. Since his male died and he is contemplating giving up the breeding thing. Either way, his were very high strung. I know that they are a hunting breed, I just never hunted with one. I suggest reading some books and see how he does with hunting and if he is "birdy". I picked up a GWP a few months ago and he was already 9 months old. The previous owner started his bird training, but never really went all out. Now I am trying to play catch up. Stubborn SOB if I do not keep it up daily.

http://www.versatiledogs.com/breeds/weim.html
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/weimar.html
http://www.weimaranerhunters.com/

·
Registered
32 Posts
bowhunter3 said:
1st he seems to have a dominance problem, if he has a bone or a toy he growls at everyone even showing his teeth and posturing us especially my kids. How do I break him of that? He seems to be a good dog and well trained, but I can't have him biting my kids.
He would have to be the worlds greatest hunting dog for me to even think about messing with him. Even if you get him submitting to you, life's too short to have to watch out the window everytime your kids are out there alone with him. You've already failed the first test by not instantly showing him the Wrath of God at the first hint of agression displayed towards you and your family, and don't think that he didn't take note of that.

It doesn't cost any more to feed a good dog than one you can't trust around your family. Do yourself a favor and choose option B. Take him to the pound.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
DDGuy said:
bowhunter3 said:
1st he seems to have a dominance problem, if he has a bone or a toy he growls at everyone even showing his teeth and posturing us especially my kids. How do I break him of that? He seems to be a good dog and well trained, but I can't have him biting my kids.
He would have to be the worlds greatest hunting dog for me to even think about messing with him. Even if you get him submitting to you, life's too short to have to watch out the window everytime your kids are out there alone with him. You've already failed the first test by not instantly showing him the Wrath of God at the first hint of agression displayed towards you and your family, and don't think that he didn't take note of that.

It doesn't cost any more to feed a good dog than one you can't trust around your family. Do yourself a favor and choose option B. Take him to the pound.
Unless you're pro trainer and know exacly what you're doing this wisdom would be wisely taken.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just one comment about silvers as bird dogs -- I've been around one that was very good, the rest have been very head strong and marginal hunting dogs. Quite a bit depends on the blood line, they have been bred selectively for looks and coloration rather than field abilities. Put him on birds and see how he does, my guess is he won't blow your socks off.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
threshershark said:
Just one comment about silvers as bird dogs -- I've been around one that was very good, the rest have been very head strong and marginal hunting dogs. Quite a bit depends on the blood line, they have been bred selectively for looks and coloration rather than field abilities. Put him on birds and see how he does, my guess is he won't blow your socks off.
The question on weather or not the're good bird dogs can be answerd by this question: Why don't you see very many of them? :?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Why dont we see many DD's or wire hairs? I love labs and they are the #1 registered dog A.K.C but 70% of them arn't worth feeding being popular doesnt make a dog good. but I agree the dog should have had the wrath of god rained down upon him the first time and every time would have made for a short problem.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I think the question was meant to mean "why don't we see many of them in the field, or in trials?" We also see too many Labs decorating the back yards at too many houses. Not enough dogs are getting the attention they need to become good dogs in the field.
Had the dog in question been at my house, he would have found his place in the pack to be lower than the cat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
bowhunter3 said:
TEX-O-BOB said:
Unless you're pro trainer and know exacly what you're doing this wisdom would be wisely taken.
Personally i think that you should give the dog a chance and see what happens. The reason the dog is like this is mainly because of how he has been trained and raised. I know that you had nothing to do with how he was raised, but you can sure change how he is going to be trained from here on. I have a Wimi and she is very stuburn, and isn't the biggest fan of children climbing on her. You have to remember these dogs have come from germany and were bred for being a watch dog/gaurd dog, so naturally they have lines in them somewhere that tell them to be aggressive. From the research i have done, most of that has been "bred out of them" but who knows because i hear alot of them being stuburn and aggressive. From reading posts on this forum and talking to other trainers of different breeds, all the "PROFESSIONAL TRAINERS" say the same thing "No room in my life for an aggressive dog " thats because if they were to take the time to train them to not be that way, they wouldn't make very much money, or the client wouldn't be able to pay them enough because it would take a lot of time. I think thats not the way to go about it, if you have the time and the patience, you should give the dog a chance and TRAIN it to be non-aggressive. If that doesn't work then you have at least tried, then maybe it's time to put it down.

threshershark said:
[/quote]

When we picked up our Wimi that is all i hear, "Good luck on getting her to hunt for you" and "I heard that they aren't the best of hunters." Well being that it's my first one i can't speak for the rest of them, but DANG she is by far the best upland dog that i have hunted around, and i hunt around 7 GSP (what a worthless dog) :mrgreen:. She was so instinctivly birdy, and knew what she was doing from her first hunt. I have had alot of trouble with her being stubborn at home, but that's mostly because she is a high energy dog. She gets in the field and you can't beat her.

JUST MY OPINION

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys thanks for the advice. I did beat the **** out of him when he growled the first time at me and my kids. Just didn't feel that it was important to tell all of you. I posted on here as soon as I left him and went back to work, told the wife to put him in his kennel and I would work with him when I got home. Well we have had him all weekend now and he is such a great dog. He is good with the kids, although I have not and will never leave him a lone with them. He is very melow in the house. He marked his teritory at first but fixed that problem with a good whacking. THe only annoying thing about him is he wants you to constantly pet him, he will force his nose onto your hands and make you pet him, which isn't a bad thing it just gets a little old. He is a very good watch dog, as someone mentioned. I do believe he will make a good bird dog, he has great instincs. I think he will be just fine, but thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a weimeraner and a brittany. My son has two English setters. The weimeraner has the best nose by far, but has very little interest in birds. He is a very smart dog and although he acts protective, he is extremely gentle with children. He loves playing fetch on land or in water and your arm will wear out long before he gets tired.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
bowhunter3 said:
He is very melow in the house. He marked his teritory at first but fixed that problem with a good whacking. THe only annoying thing about him is he wants you to constantly pet him, he will force his nose onto your hands and make you pet him, which isn't a bad thing it just gets a little old.
Sounds like you have the makings of a good family member on your hands. I've been around a couple Weims in the field and they did well I thought. Of course, I'm no field trial pro or anything and only have a lab mutt but I sure liked the two Weims I was around. They were friendly, energetic and responded well to "the boss". My Lab does the same thing with the attention deal and the marking. I just taught him to wait (with a little whacking involved) and now he's housebroken... or apartment broken I guess I should say. About the attention thing with the nose, he gets a pat on the head and then knows now that when I say ENOUGH or tell him to lay down, thats time to knock it off..... 8) That might wind up helping you... not too sure. I'd just train him to learn that when you are through, then he is too and bugging you more isn't going to be rewarded. Good luck with your dog.... I hope it all works out well for you.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tex why the hate for weimaraners. I have done some research on them and they are supposed to be very good hunting dogs. I will try him out, he sure has the nose for it, and he already knows how to point that is just instict telling him to do that. I am glad I kept him though, to update everyone he has become a very good dog. I was just home with him and my kids were laying on him and he just sat there and never moved except for the ocasional lick. As for the hunting goes hopefully he does well. I am normally more of a duck and goose hunter but I love hunting pheasants and upland game, jsut don't do it as much, maybe this dog will get me out there more. If I can find land to do it on :D

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
TEX-O-BOB said:
The question on weather or not the're good bird dogs can be answerd by this question: Why don't you see very many of them? :?
The funny thing about that is I think I know of about as many Weim owners as I do Ugly dog owners! :mrgreen: Hmmm...I wonder why?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
bwhntr said:
TEX-O-BOB said:
The funny thing about that is I think I know of about as many Weim owners as I do Ugly dog owners! :mrgreen: Hmmm...I wonder why?
You don't get out much do ya?

Bowhunter3, I don't hate any dog. I'm just funnin with ya. I'm a GWP ownwer and a very bias one at that. So ya gots to take me with a grain of salt. :wink: I've met some nice "Why Mes" :mrgreen: And I've met some that were as dumb as a pair of pliars. But I guess that can be said about any breed. Exept the GWP of course! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tex I like GWP's they are good dogs, my wife just cant stand the way they look. :roll:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Altough I agree in part with Tex's comments - get that **** dog away from your children and wife ASAP! If you have little children and one of them crossed his path and you were out of the room or at work - a dog the size of a weim could kill your child or wife in seconds. If it didn't kill them it would bite fingers, nose, eyeballs, etc off in seconds. I had one bite completely through my finger in a flash before.

As far as hunting ability Weims are fine. Don't look at most of them to hunt like a GSP, or EP - but they can get the work done. I have seen some ok ones - Kim Sampson has the best I have seen - but I haven't hunted behind her weim before.

Weim's are one of the smartest - bullheaded breed of dog that I have ever owned. I had a female that would try to open my back door. Would bark non-stop (even with the bark collar on full blast) in the middle of the night - just so she could sleep inside.

Weims are not the best kennel dog. Although they can handle it - they prefer to be with their pack inside a nice warm home.

I would just send the dog off to the humane society or that agency that will take them to petsmart and adopt them out. I wouldn't mess with it dude!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
silverkitten73 said:
Altough I agree in part with Tex's comments - get that **** dog away from your children and wife ASAP! If you have little children and one of them crossed his path and you were out of the room or at work - a dog the size of a weim could kill your child or wife in seconds. If it didn't kill them it would bite fingers, nose, eyeballs, etc off in seconds. I had one bite completely through my finger in a flash before.

As far as hunting ability Weims are fine. Don't look at most of them to hunt like a GSP, or EP - but they can get the work done. I have seen some ok ones - Kim Sampson has the best I have seen - but I haven't hunted behind her weim before.

Weim's are one of the smartest - bullheaded breed of dog that I have ever owned. I had a female that would try to open my back door. Would bark non-stop (even with the bark collar on full blast) in the middle of the night - just so she could sleep inside.

Weims are not the best kennel dog. Although they can handle it - they prefer to be with their pack inside a nice warm home.

I would just send the dog off to the humane society or that agency that will take them to petsmart and adopt them out. I wouldn't mess with it dude!
Why are you so quick to get rid of him silverkitten? To say he could kill the wife....come on that is absurd. Could bite, but almost every dog that I have ever been around that acted like this would snap at most. Show it who is dominate, give it a chance to change. If it won't change and you fear it hurting your children, then I agree get rid of it. I think it could be fixed with a little work is all. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts