Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to hunt a female mountain goat, I have to apply through the big game OIL draw and incur a lifetime waiting period on all mountain goat hunting if I am successful. If I want to hunt a cow bison, the same rules apply.

Why, then, if I want to hunt a cow moose, am I allowed to apply through the antlerless draw (if permits become available) with no effect on my other OIL applications? Bison, moose, and mountain goat are all OIL species, so I can't see why antlerless moose are treated differently than bison and mountain goats.

All I know is that with over 3000 people buying points for cow moose in hopes that more permits become available in the future, I don't think I'll join them at this point. But I think people would move through the OIL moose draw a lot faster if cow moose were included in the OIL draw.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Probably the difference is both Male and Female Mt Goats and Bison both have horns and look similar. Cow Moose however has no antlers hence less desirable and doubtful anyone would blow OIL tags for one.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
9,659 Posts
There is a lot more moose out there than there are mountain goats or bison and there are areas that they are becoming a problem or getting close to their objective. But the way that they are going it won't be that way for long.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I disagree on the "people moving thru the line faster if cow moose were OIL" statement. Yes, there would be a few more move thru, but I don't think the upper point holders who have held out this long would blow their points on Betsy. JMO though...I sure wouldn't use mine (if I had any).

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
How else would the DWR collect money from applications for a hunt that won't happen if the OIL rules currently applied? I'll take your "over 3,000" people statement as correct. That is $30,000+ every year they would lose for a totally non-existent if the OIL rules applied to cow moose.

If you can't tell, I think the fact that the DWR is taking application fees for these useless points is a load of crap.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I disagree on the "people moving thru the line faster if cow moose were OIL" statement. Yes, there would be a few more move thru, but I don't think the upper point holders who have held out this long would blow their points on Betsy. JMO though...I sure wouldn't use mine (if I had any).
I'm sure the majority of upper point holders wouldn't blow their points for a cow, unless they were feeling too sick/old to hold out another year (I noticed that one hunter blew 20 points on the late cow bison hunt that otherwise took 13 points to draw - I wonder if that was the case there).

I'm sure it would take fewer points to draw a cow tag in this situation, and potentially far fewer points. Thus, hunters starting now who would rather not spend 30+ years to maybe draw a sheep/goat/bison/bull moose tag would be able to try for a cow moose tag and be reasonably sure they could get it before they retire (again, assuming the population recovers and we get cow tags in the numbers we used to).

Take me for example. I'll just be getting started with my OIL application this year. After careful consideration, I've decided to go for desert bighorn sheep. Sure, the odds are terrible, but they're terrible for all species, so I figure I'll hope to get lucky and/or live awhile. However, if I could be reasonably sure I'd have a cow moose tag within say 5-10 years, I'd be tempted to just take the surer bet and do that instead. If I did that, it would keep me out of the desert bighorn pool, making odds better for those applying for that species.

That is what I think would make the bigger difference. Everyone applying for that tag would not be applying for any other OIL species, and it would help all the other applicants in that way.

Just thinking out loud...I think there would be quite a few unhappy hunters with cow moose points if such a change were ever made. I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can't tell, I think the fact that the DWR is taking application fees for these useless points is a load of crap.
I have to agree with you there. Since I don't have any points, I can just conclude I'll never get a cow moose tag and move on. If you're already near the top, though, you've got to keep buying or lose your place in line.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Counter point being that if they ever do give out cow moose tags again, you probably would have better odds of drawing that sooner than a desert bighorn...especially If you start putting in sooner than later. Since you can apply for both, it would be a no brainer if you would like to have a shot at hunting cow moose someday while still stockpiling sheep points.

Like you, just thinking out loud. I drew a cow moose tag in 2008. Fun hunt and great meat...and LOTS of it.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Counter point being that if they ever do give out cow moose tags again, you probably would have better odds of drawing that sooner than a desert bighorn...especially If you start putting in sooner than later. Since you can apply for both, it would be a no brainer if you would like to have a shot at hunting cow moose someday while still stockpiling sheep points.
True. To me, it's worth spending the money to apply every year in hopes of maybe getting my desert bighorn tag before I'm too old to hunt. I guess I just need to decide if I hold a cow moose in similar regard...

Prior to this comment, I was under the false impression that cow moose hunts functioned under a preference point system like other antlerless tags...meaning that I'd have to wait until 3000 other people drew tags, lost interest, or died before I even had a chance to draw. I'm actually more inclined to apply under a bonus point system, since I at least have a chance to draw each year I apply.

I'm still bitter about having to buy a point when no tags are given, but I guess boycotting the screwed-up system won't do me much good (unless I never get a tag, in which case the $10 annual savings would be a good thing).

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
also cow moose tags are not OIL tags where the female bison and goat tags are. This makes them more similar to the regular antlerless draw.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Im up there in the max point pool for cow moose with a bunch of peeps and as dumb as it seem to keep buying points hoping that one day they offer tags again it almost seems even dummer to stop now and lose my position.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I thought cow moose tags were drawn (if ever issued again) under the same scenario as LE hunts. 50% max points, 50% random draw (with points). Is that not how it works?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought cow moose tags were drawn (if ever issued again) under the same scenario as LE hunts. 50% max points, 50% random draw (with points). Is that not how it works?
Yeah, that is how it works. I was under the impression that they were drawn like other antlerless tags, but I was mistaken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts