Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an anterless elk tag for Morgan-South Rich, South Weber, and an any bull tag, and a Kamas buck tag.

I was up in the monte cristos for opening elk weekend. I had my bull tag and anterless tag in hand.
I have been up there scouting multiple times over the past 4 weeks or so and had some good game plans and had seen a lot of game.

I hiked in about 5 miles on Friday and felt good about the hunt.
I hunted hard for a few days and struck out. hah.
On Saturday I almost got a shot off on one of the 4 cows I saw, but they were spooked and moving faster than I felt comfortable taking a shot at.

Soon as they were out of view, I had that sinking feeling those were the last animals I was going to see. The hunting pressure was pretty fierce up there.

I was right, I saw nothing but bucks, does and grouse the rest of the time, oh and that fire some yahoo left burning off lighting ridge, that was brilliant.

It was still great to be out there hunting, time outdoors it much appreciated. :)

Anyways, if anyone has any advice, Im not sure what to do next.
I have the 12-19th off and back to work the 20th, and then off again 23-25.
Since I have the Kamas buck tag, should I head up there and hunt the general bull unit and scout for bucks at the same time?
Are there elk up there?

Or should I go back up into the monte cristos where I have seen elk in the past years, but not nearly as many this year? I would then go hit up the kamas buck hunt opening and closing weekends.

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.
Also, if anyone wants to tag along the 12-15, let me know, im heading to wherever im heading on the 11th. Anyone who tags along will get their fair share of meat should I harvest. hunting solo is fun, but it does start to get old after a while.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Kamas is an any bull unit. But, at least in the area that I've hunted, the elk are few and far between. I've seen em and I've shot one, but there are likely better areas.
I was thinking of the south side of 35 being spike only and there being a lot of private land on the north side, never hunted very close to Kamas so I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I was thinking of the south side of 35 being spike only and there being a lot of private land on the north side, never hunted very close to Kamas so I could be mistaken.
Yes south of 35 is spike only but not in the Kamas unit. The Kamas deer unit is entirely within the any bull unit elk boundaries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts