Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone,

My wife and I were somehow lucky enough to draw antlerless tags this year. We've never been to the area and have limited time to scout between now and season open. I am hoping to make it out at least once for three days or so. As a first time Utah hunter, I am wondering if it'd be best to hunt this area hard early or brave the cold when the elk get pushed down into lower elevations. I have an NV Muley tag right in the middle of the early portion of the season, but would be willing to stack points for the chance at more meat for the freezer. From what I've gathered on maps this unit is HEAVILY timbered, some cool open basins up high, a bunch of trails and lots of water. Which is a lot different than where we've had success with elk in the past. Excited for this new experience, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've hunted this tag a lot and harvest there yearly. You will likely have an experience finding elk. They're around but in lower numbers than they have been. There was a control tag for that area for several years and higher permit numbers for the antlerless. If you can rely on quality snowfall, then hunting the wintering grounds will pay off. If not, you really need to put your time into locating elk herds during the start of your season and hunt them where you find them.

Fwiw, last year I hunted this tag and put in more days than I've ever put in for a cow tag. The herds I did locate were on private lands and chased off by a barrage of gunfire regularly. I did not hunt this tag early season since I had not been seeing elk in the usual places. Last year was a strange year for everyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You’re going to earn any elk killed on public land with that tag….

where are you from?
Born and raised in Nevada.

I've hunted this tag a lot and harvest there yearly. You will likely have an experience finding elk. They're around but in lower numbers than they have been. There was a control tag for that area for several years and higher permit numbers for the antlerless. If you can rely on quality snowfall, then hunting the wintering grounds will pay off. If not, you really need to put your time into locating elk herds during the start of your season and hunt them where you find them.

Fwiw, last year I hunted this tag and put in more days than I've ever put in for a cow tag. The herds I did locate were on private lands and chased off by a barrage of gunfire regularly. I did not hunt this tag early season since I had not been seeing elk in the usual places. Last year was a strange year for everyone.
Thanks for the insight I appreciate it.

It doesn’t seem like there is a lot of private land, at least not like some of the other units that were open, so is the feed just more preferable?

I agree last year was a tough one, we put in eight days to harvest our cow elk. It definitely helped that it was beautiful weather though.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The private land is an issue in winter when they come down to Marion and Oakley. During the early season it's like any other unit that is anybull. Elk are there but take planning and often more effort than some are willing to put in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts