Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was up on the Kamas unit yesterday when we saw a guy with a doe the DWR gave him. Supposedly a guy missed a buck and shot the back hip out of a doe that stepped in front of the buck. He blew a football sized hole out of the doe in the process. Well the guy turned himself in and the DWR took the doe and the guy's tag.

I was pondering the situation and was wondering what the heck the guy was shooting to cause that much damage?

I've seen plenty of bullet holes on big game but it looked like the guy used a 375 H&H on this deer!

What do yall think?

·
Super Moderator
9,800 Posts
I once had to shoot a javelina through the palm of a prickly-pear cactus. (long story about why I had to do it) He was standing about 1' away from it. After the bullet went through that cactus and mushroomed out and hit that javelina you would of thought that I had shot him with a cannon from the hole that was through his shoulder.

Perhaps the same thing happened to that doe. The bullet may of hit something and started to mushroom before it hit her.

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a guess... but varmint ballistic tip bullets? Those would do it.

-DallanC
Yeah. Maybe a 36gr Varmint Grenade. Good thinking!

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point critter. I had third hand info by the time I came along, but it seems like the guy likely brought too much gun.

·
Super Moderator
9,800 Posts
I have also seen the same thing happen with heavy slugs out of a 06 when they hit a animal in the wrong place. Inarticulate a 180 grain bullet on a deer sized animal.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Tried 85gr bullets out of 243 for my wife one year... she hit a deer and it blew a crazy big hole through it. Deer was DRT but it was such a mess we went back to 100gr Partitions. Left lead shrapnel all over through the deer... huge headache to deal with come processing time.

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I shot a doe this fall with my 270 using the same 130 grain bullets i have used on about a dozen antelope 7 elk and 6 deer. When I opened her up she was literally jelly everywhere except the entry shoulder and ½of each hind quarter. Sometimes bullets do weird weird things.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
I wonder if he went through the buck and into the doe? Everything my son and I have shot with a Barnes TSX has gone through and through. Just a thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts