Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve debated on posting anything about this, but it was a very valuable lesson I had to learn the hard way, and if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. Something for everyone to think about and a great reminder for all.

2 weeks ago I was fortunate enough to harvest a pronghorn with my muzzleloader. I gutted it and loaded it into the truck to take home and finish processing it there since it was cold and raining. a friend of mine said he needed the cape for a mount he was doing and would trade the cape for a euro mount on mine. As I got to the joint where the skull connects to the spine, I changed out the blade on my havalon knife for a fresh one. I got the skull off, walked out of my garage to shake out the cape to get the dirt and hair off it before I put it in the freezer. As I did so, I took the knife, dropped it tip down into the grass, and I watched it stick with the knife handle up, no blade exposed. I’ve done this countless times in the field when I’m solo and removing a quarter from an animal, and go to hang It in a tree or bag it up. To me I felt like trying to hold a knife and do this was very unsafe, so leaving the knife behind was the best and safest option, turns out it’s not. Anyways, I laid out the pronghorn cape on my lawn so it could air out while I finished processing the meat. As I turned around, I felt my left foot catch something and I tripped and fell. I figured I had tripped over a sprinkler head. But that was far from what happened. When I looked at my foot, I saw that orange knife handle stuck all the way through the bottom of my boot. I couldn’t feel anything in my foot and thought maybe I had just stuck in into the boot and it hadnt went all the way through into my foot. So I pulled it out and stood up. Nothing hurt, but I could instantly feel the “warm wet feet” sensation and I knew I had a problem. I don’t know how it exactly happened, all I can think of is when I stood up and turned around to go back in my garage, I knocked it out of the dirt with my right foot and it angled up so when I swung my left foot over it, it caught just perfectly and went through. I won’t get into the details of it all, because it’s still hard for me to even think about, but it turned out the entire blade had angled up through the boot and all the way into my foot. Approximately 2.5” of blade was in me, starting around the front of the arch and ending around heel. I’m not sure if the handle hitting the bottom of the boot stopped it from going any farther into me or if the bone did, probably a little of both. The pain from the doctor irrigating with his little probe to clean it out was unlike anything I’ve ever felt. 0/10 I would not recommend anyone having to go through that for themselves. They stitched it up and started me on some very strong antibiotics since they were very concerned about infection due to it 1) it was used on a pronghorn and they aren’t the cleanest animals around and their habitat they live in isn’t ideal either and 2) it was a knife I’ve had for years, used on countless animals and I haven’t really cleaned it. Just snap on a new blade and throw it in the pack for the next one.

2 weeks later and I can walk on it finally, but it’s still very tender and sore. It didn’t get infected, but the front half of my foot is still an irritating tingling numb sensation and I can’t feel 3 of my toes. I can move them still, so I’m told that’s good. I could hike a little on it Saturday during my elk hunt, but certainly couldn’t go at a normal pace or put any kind of heavy weight or strain on it other than just my own weight. I couldn’t bare the weight on that foot to lift up the hind quarter on my spike to cut it off. My brother had to do all of it. It could be several weeks or longer before it’s back to 100%.

im not posting this for sympathy or anything like that. I just want this to be a reminder for everyone that even though you might have done something many times before and it becomes auto pilot to you, to still be mindful of even the littlest of things and always be aware of what you are doing and pay attention. I’m extremely lucky I did this in my front lawn and not 3+ miles back in somewhere that I couldn’t hike out of. It was 100% my fault due to careless on my part and not paying attention. Always stay focused on the tasks at hand and don’t get distracted or careless. It doesn’t take much before a stupid over looked little detail can go bad really fast.

out of curiosity and since the boot was already ruined, I took a new fresh blade and tried to push it through to see how easy it was to do. I couldn’t get it to go through before the blade broke. I had to have hit it at just the perfect angle and center my weight on it just right to get it to happen.

stay safe, good luck, have fun and enjoy the rest of your hunts this season!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Good luck with the recovery! Foot problems are no fun.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Uggh, foot injuries suck. Especially during hunting season I'm sure.

Thanks for the humbling reminder for all of us. And good luck with your continued recovery.

One small bit of advice I would suggest, is if you're doctor tells you to do physical therapy, DO IT, and DO ALL OF IT. I broke my foot in 4 places backpacking about 6 years ago. Two surgeries later, and after doing some physical therapy, it was feeling decent so I quite doing the PT. Man, do I regret that. My foot has just never been the same. I can walk and hike, but it's just "tighter" than it used to be. And it doesn't usually hurt, but frequently feels uncomfortable I guess you could say.

Obviously a break is different than a deep cut/puncture, but if your doc ever says to do PT, I highly suggest doing it.

Again, thanks for the reminder, and good luck healing. Best wishes.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Dang- Sorry to hear that and glad you are recovering. That is some good advice! It can happen to anyone.

I hate the razor knives- havalon, outdoor edge or whatever brand. They are all just too dangerous. Every year I have clients who had to go to the ER because of razor knife cuts while dealing with their animals. One guy cut his tendons at the wrist and almost died- that was the worst one I've seen. I've seen where someone is holding the cape/meat and another person cutting slices the helper open. Cuts all the way across the top side of the fingers, cutting each fingers' tendons. Had clients cut the tip off their finger off while changing a blade. I can go on and on with those stories. I won't use them in the shop, let alone a mile from the truck on a cold day when it is getting dark.

While any knife will cut you, razor knives are just at another level. Scary dangerous. Not to mention how they can damage or destroy capes...... Or how people leave the used blades on the mtn.....
(Apologies to my clients who have heard my razor knife discussion before)

·
Registered
Big game, upland game, fishing, and mountains.
36 Posts
Best of luck on the recovery from that!

I know it wouldn't have helped Moose in his particular predicament, but that does have me thinking knife safety more generally. Has anyone tried using the kevlar kitchen gloves (like they sell for use with v-slicers and such) to prevent bad cuts on your off hand? I could see them being helpful, and I could also see them being more trouble than they're worth.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Sorry about your foot man! Sounds like you haven't let it slow you down completely though. Pretty awesome to have success though even in the face of not being very mobile.

Foot injuries are the worst. Hope you heal up quickly!

Congrats on the spike!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hot dang!!

Sorry to hear that... Those knives with the disposable blades have cut up a lot of people! Thats a great reminder for all of us. I appreciate the post and glad your on the mend.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good advice and I hope your recovery continues trouble free.

Those hunting surgical knive things scare me.

I suspect that the most dangerous aspect of hunting, especially in the west with steep hillsides, is cutting up animals.

Years ago a family friend was doing an elk on the side of a steep hill when he fell and literally stabbed hinself in the heart with his knife.

Everyone be careful this season.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I have put my knife on the ground while skinning and quartering and have had several situaitons where I lost track of it. Gratefully, I've never had something like this happen to me.

I have, however, had a friend slice open the top of my finger while caping a pronghorn (sliced down to the tendon, but didn't cut it). My injury was not nearly as bad, but irrigating that wound before stitches in the Kemmerer ER is a memory that still makes me cringe.

I hope you recover quickly and completely. Be careful out there, everyone!

·
Administrator
8,028 Posts
Every once in a while I read a post that makes me grit my teeth. This was one of them.
Not because I think you’re an idiot, but because I knew where it was going. Dang-o! Glad yer ok

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Soooo…. You gonna post pics?
There really isn’t any pics worth posting. It’s a wound the width of a havalon blade. That’s all there is to see, but there’s much more to it than what meets the eye unfortunately

·
Administrator
8,028 Posts
There really isn’t any pics worth posting. It’s a wound the width of a havalon blade. That’s all there is to see, but there’s much more to it than what meets the eye unfortunately
Well, I guess I’ll forgive you this time then.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I guess I’ll forgive you this time then.
this is moments before I experienced the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life. Didn’t come close to comparing to a broken nose, foot or fingers. Up to this point I hadn’t felt too much other than a little discomfort when they were washing off the blood surrounding the cut
Hand Bandage Human body Knee Scar

1 - 20 of 37 Posts