Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Yea, it is when they start to shove things up into the wound to clean it out that you want to take a baseball bat to whoever is doing it.

They always say to let them know if it hurts, but I doubt that they would appreciate the way that I would tell them.

I jammed a 16P nail up through my foot years ago when I stepped down off of ladder.

·
Administrator
8,027 Posts
this is moments before I experienced the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life. Didn’t come close to comparing to a broken nose, foot or fingers. Up to this point I hadn’t felt too much other than a little discomfort when they were washing off the blood surrounding the cut View attachment 149722
Daymmmmmm dude. You can see it swelling up there. So glad you’re ok

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Did it sever anything of importance?
Not sure yet. 3 toes are still numb, they didn’t think I hit a tendon since I can move everything pretty good. There is a muscle that runs across the length of your foot that I definitely went through, but we are hopeful that will repair itself on its own over time. I was told to stay off it for 10 days, then take it easy from there. I probably should have stayed a little closer to the truck Saturday morning than what I did, but those spikes aren’t found next to a road very often, so you do what you gotta do 🤷🏼‍♂️ It’s still very sore and almost hurts to even look at it haha but I can walk without crutches and it does feel a little better every day. Time will tell. Hopefully sooner than later too! I got some big hunts coming up pretty fast!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
MM, your the second individual I know of this year that has had a foot injury before the hunt. My Son-in-Law broke his Talus bone in his foot playing golf. He's flipping out sitting at home in a hard cast when he has a tag in his pocket.

I came close to loosing a toe when I was grinding a knife on the 2x72 belt grinder. I didn't use my magnet to hold the blade and it came out of my hand and hit the concrete next to my foot. scared me and I counted my stars that day.

Get well, and hope you get the feeling back in your three toes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds like its healing up decent. I think we have all had either close calls or injuries from knives out in the field. Sounds like yours was the perfect storm. Hope you have a full recovery quickly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I hope you have a speedy recovery with all feeling regained. During my antelope hunt, I set a bright orange knife down next to my animal for a moment and had to ask my son where I set it. I am color blind and couldn't see it. This same sort of thing could have happened to me. Thank you for posting your story.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good reminder for us all. It’s easy to get careless or take some of the risks and dangers we engage in for granted after many years of doing things over and over. After having hunting experiences that included hypothermia, a four wheeler roll over (which broke my rifle in half) and a few other close calls over the years all without serious injury it is still easy at times to forget that I have to be focused and attentive and make a concerted effort on safety.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Glad you're OK. I saw the headline and was ready to comment about the effectiveness of cut resistent gloves. I ALWAYS carry one in my pack for my non-knife hand after **** near bleeding out on the mountain (processing solo, bad weather, at night, exhausted). Anyhow, good reminder on safety at all times.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Reading your story MM made me cringe...not only because of your description of the situation and pain, but because most of us have had close calls. Kinda like a horror movie - you know the bad guy is coming, you don't know exactly when though. Thanks for the reminder about knife safety. I've had a Havalon for years...mainly because I hate sharpening a standard blade on the mountain (seems they always go dull WAY TOO FAST)! That and they weigh next to nothing, but these stories have gotten me to thinking.

I hate that the Havalons break sometimes or pop off while cutting (usually caught on tendon or hide near the rear of the blade). I may not give up razor knives completely, but the Outdoor Edge knives seem to be a safer bet anyway....even if they weigh 4 times what a Havalon does.

Glad you are OK. Hope you heal fast for your upcoming hunts! Thanks again for the reminder!!

Reactions: Ray

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I rock the outdoor edge, I cut my finger while gutting a deer with it but it was a small cut and it was 100% my fault.

I’ve heard some crazy stories with those havalons

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
A little update.

no infection, which is the best news. It still hurts to walk on. I hiked around on it elk hunting and packing another spike out yesterday, it was on fire by the time I got home. The actual wound isn’t whats really hurting, it’s the numbness of the area towards my toes and that muscle that hurts. After the stitches came out, I was told it could be weeks or months before that heals, if it does at all. Time needs to pass before we know. I was told I could go back to full activity on it, as my tolerance allows. A full day running around the mountains and heavy packs at the end was too much to start out on.

be careful out there, it doesn’t take much to turn a great day in to a bad one!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I rock the outdoor edge, I cut my finger while gutting a deer with it but it was a small cut and it was 100% my fault.

I’ve heard some crazy stories with those havalons
I was talking with a guy about that the other day and he was hearing of just as many accidents with the outdoor edge knives as well. I guess if you don’t clean the knife after each use, the blades don’t lock in properly and come out and give people all kinds of injuries when they aren’t paying attention or trying to hurry through it.

I think any razor knife in general is stepping it up a notch on the risk scale when it comes to personal safety and using them for skinning and processing animals. Dull knives are very dangerous, but super sharp knives are very dangerous as well. You’ve gotta personally decide what’s best for you and accept the dangers that may come with it

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I was talking with a guy about that the other day and he was hearing of just as many accidents with the outdoor edge knives as well. I guess if you don’t clean the knife after each use, the blades don’t lock in properly and come out and give people all kinds of injuries when they aren’t paying attention or trying to hurry through it.

I think any razor knife in general is stepping it up a notch on the risk scale when it comes to personal safety and using them for skinning and processing animals. Dull knives are very dangerous, but super sharp knives are very dangerous as well. You’ve gotta personally decide what’s best for you and accept the dangers that may come with it
my cut actually happened while swapping the blade out, I couldn’t remove the old one and sliced my finger trying to force it

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
I sliced a finger to the bone years ago and the Dr who stitched me up suggested that I should have micro surgery to repair the nerves. Well, I didn't do it and now when it gets cold I loose all feeling in that finger from where the cut was to the tip, when it is warm everything is just fine.

As for razor knifes, all of my knifes are just as sharp as any of the razor ones. It is just that the blades on my knifes are sturdier than most of the disposal blade knifes are. I had a instructor in college one time ask me if I had a knife that he could use for a bit. I handed him my pocket knife, a small 2" blade knife and told him to be careful and that it was sharp. I didn't see the instructor for 5 or 6 hours and when he handed me my knife back he mentioned that it was indeed a very sharp knife. He had just gotten a dozen stitches in his hand.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Glad you are on the mend. Foot issues are rough, especially during hunting season. I decided, at 50 years old, that playing basketball during fall break last week with my nephews was a good idea. After all, it was only a few games of "elimination" right? Well, my ball ended up bouncing way out of play. I picked it up and starting running toward the hoop. I decided to launch a shot from "way out there" to try and not get eliminated. Right as I planted and launched, I felt someone slam something into the back of my right lower leg. Yep....no one had done anything. I had partially torn my calf muscle and partial tear of my Achilles. Good thing my LE Elk tag was successful and already done. I do have an archery deer tag in my pocket that I was excited to use during the extended hunt. But....I will be out of commission for a while. Likely no hunting at all for me the rest of this fall.

Be safe in all you are doing. Especially with a knife, but even doing things we do all the time.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts