Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just reposting from an FB group for a guy I know, so if you do him let me know and I will pass it on. This was in the Scofield area in the last week.
I'm looking for this guy. If anyone has a connection to him the DWR (and myself) have some questions for him. He was the last photo on my wireless trail camera before it was discovered stolen this morning. Plus two other cameras from the same location

·
Registered
282 Posts
The joy of leaving cameras on public ground, so far I've been lucky and mine haven't ever been touched but I usually pull mine out a week before the hunts start. I saw this post on fb as well, I didn't read the comments but I am wondering what the person might have done to where the dwr has some questions for him.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like he needed to recoup some funds after he lost all his arrows but one.

I had a camera disappear this year as well. Nothing lower than a thief.
Good catch, I didnt even notice that. Apparently they have a vehicle description. three of them stolen, one in a bear box lag bolt to the tree and two with a viper cable. I kind of wonder if this is really him since they would have to be really prepared with heavy duty tools to get these off, cant do that with just one arrow.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I kind of wonder if this is really him since they would have to be really prepared with heavy duty tools to get these off, cant do that with just one arrow.
Maybe that's why he's down to one. Used all of the others in his quiver to shoot the locks off of the cameras.

⫸<{{{{{⦇°>

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Perfect example for why I hate "game" cameras.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Administrator
10,476 Posts
It really doesn't take much in the way of tools anymore to get through locks or cables. The battery operated cutting tools fit very easily into a backpack along with a couple of wrenches to get the lag bolts out.

This guy might still be a possibility since they would of had to of gone into the area and seen the cameras and then came back a few days later after they had picked up the tools.

It's too bad that people can't leave someones property alone anymore. But you do have to figure that if you are going to leave something hanging from a tree that it just may come up missing by the time you go to pick it up.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I was loper hunting over the weekend. I ran into a couple of pop up blinds that had been left out. The wind had taken it's toll on them, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would leave their pop up. It only takes a couple of minutes to take them down. My experience has been the lopers really don't care if a blind shows up one morning. I have to wonder how many blinds get picked up as well as camera's.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Seems to me that it takes a special brand of terminally stupid idiot to hack away at a cable or lag bolt out in the woods when the owner of the thing they're stealing could be out there with a rifle capable of waxing them from 300 yards. The guy probably doesn't even know people are looking for him, like that guy who shot the buck known as the Rabbi...he took the antlers to a taxidermy shop to get mounted like they wouldn't be recognized.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems to me that it takes a special brand of terminally stupid idiot to hack away at a cable or lag bolt out in the woods when the owner of the thing they're stealing could be out there with a rifle capable of waxing them from 300 yards. The guy probably doesn't even know people are looking for him, like that guy who shot the buck known as the Rabbi...he took the antlers to a taxidermy shop to get mounted like they wouldn't be recognized.
Spot on, this was a wireless transmission unit that sends pics fairly quickly after being taken, very surprising that something wasnt transmitted during the commision of the crime alerting the owner located nearby.

Reactions: shortbreath54

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am still wondering what this guy did that the dwr have questions for him. Yes he stole the cameras and that is pretty low and he should be taught a lesson but did he do something else that is really a crime, like shoot four animals with his missing arrows and left them to waste? Maybe that's why he took the cameras thinking that would get rid of evidence.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Silly people steal things that silly people leave in the woods. I had one taken for the first time ever this year. Best practice is to not leave private property on public property. If you choose to play the game, then you shouldn't be too suprised when you lose out once in a while.

I use cameras and go to extreme measures to hide them very well. I consider cameras placed in conspicuous places with lock boxes and nasty warnings to be in the same category as litter.....no one wants to see your beer cans or your trail cam taking their picture.

I personally would never touch one, but I don't disparage those who do with much disdain......not even the mutton vaquero who took mine.-----SS

·
Registered
944 Posts
"yes ive taken 1 camera in my life. was it right? oh i dunno...."

No, it wasn't right... I get what your saying about camera's being placed everywhere. Maybe you could find another place to hunt. It's frustrating having things in places you intend to hunt or camp, but it is public ground and though we all sometimes think I should grab that, 99% of us don't because of a little integrity that is in us. Maybe that's just me, but I don't take things just because it's there and nobody is watching me!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I'm not much of a stealer, but I think it would be fun to 'relocate' on of the messenger cams to the bottom of the nearest outhouse facing upward. Here are some instant messages for you, guy who's too lazy to get out and check his cameras.:mrgreen:------SS

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
if you leave cameras unlocked on a tree, on public ground, i dont know how anyone can expect them to be there when they get back.... i cant count how many cameras ive found this year. its ridiculous how out of control its gotten. i wish they would make them illegal on public ground. all it does is exploit animals that are smart enough to stay hidden when people are around but dont know a camera is there watching their every move. yes ive taken 1 camera in my life. was it right? oh i dunno.... i had my reasons (long story). i knew who the camera belonged to and in my opinion he had it coming. and to be fair the camera was up over 5 months, and i considered it abandoned since it was the last night of the rifle hunt and i was sure it was gonna sit there all winter. now i will check SD cards and look at them when i find them, if the camera is unlocked. but thats it. the DWR should have nothing to do with this. at all. i highly doubt theres any wildlife violations associated with this incident. its just some guy thats mad his cams are gone and the sheriffs didnt wanna deal with it. leave your cameras unlocked, expect people to mess with them. its just how it goes these days....
With that attitude I get the feeling you and karma will be meeting very soon....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i didnt know stealing a 200 dollar camera was a crime punishable by death........
It certainly is not and I wasn't inferring that I myself would be pointing a gun at someone for trying to steal anything worth that or any other dollar amount. However, you can't be sure that everyone else thinks that way and prudence would lead me to leave other people's things alone when I'm out in the woods with multiple sight lines to my unprotected back.

What I WOULD do is confront the guy, especially if I had a firearm and he had a bow. Him and I would walk back to his vehicle and I would get his license plate number and some pictures of him and it and then he would be going to jail.

By the way, it wasn't unsecured....they cut through a lag bolt and securing cables to get the devices. It makes me sick to see people justifying theft.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That's why I took the camera.... Karma. And don't be preaching on me. I've read your posts for quite sometime. You can be a piece of work, yourself.
Preaching, hardly, simply relaying the fact that when we lie/cheat/steal it usually comes back to bite us on the butt. No matter your excuse/rationale/lack of proper upbringing, you had no legitimate reason to steal someone's trail cam. And if you go back and read this thread you will notice that the cams in question were very much secured, not 'unlocked' as you failed to comprehend.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts