Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 hp Kohler Command Pro on my long shaft. I noticed it was leaking what seemed like oil but was thinner and smelled like gas. I took the oil dipstick out and a mixture of oil and gas gushed out. It appears all the gas went into the oil reservoir. Any thoughts on the cause and fix? Thanks

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I have a 12 hp Kohler Command Pro on my long shaft. I noticed it was leaking what seemed like oil but was thinner and smelled like gas. I took the oil dipstick out and a mixture of oil and gas gushed out. It appears all the gas went into the oil reservoir. Any thoughts on the cause and fix? Thanks
Probably a carburetor issue with the float sticking...

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Does the Kohler have a backfire / fuel solenoid on the carb? Those work independent of floats, and if it gets sticky it can let gas weep into the cylinder / crank case. I just replaced one of those on my riding mower this year.

See if there is something cylindrical with a power wire running to it on the carb itself, it. Power on = retracted / open gas regulator, power off = closed.

Here's an example Kohler solenoid:

https://www.kohler-engine-parts.ope...enoids/carburetor-repair-solenoid-kit-1275733

-DallanC

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
The engine should never be allowed to tip on it's side. It must be kept in an upright position.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Make sure you shutoff the fuel when you go on a bumpy road. The fuel can get past the float and get into the cylinder and crankcase. called hydolock condition. If the fuel has not made it to the crankcase usually you can take the spark plug out ground the plug and compress the fuel out of the cylinder, Make sure to ground the plug or you will start the engine on fire. Do not run the engine if you have fuel in the crankcase you will seize the engine. Carry a couple of quarts of oil if you need to drain the crankcase. Hope that works for you. Also if it has a fuel selonoid it will shutoff the fuel IF it is working properly. Good luck and be careful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts