Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Out here in my country there is a fish farm. They raise Rainbow Trout. I went to work for them and worked for many years for them. It is called "Whites Trout Farm" My point in bringing this up is that I know about Rainbow Trout. I know very little about Kokanee, except as I noted earlier. They are not a game fish, they are a nuisance.
Kokanee are great. They don't compete against other fish for the same food source. They can add to the bio-mass of a lake without negatively affecting other species like trout. They'll hang out in deep water filter feeding on zooplankton.

They require an entirely different mindset, due to the reasons I stated earlier. You catch them by triggering an aggressive response to your lures. Took me alot of time and $$$ to catch our first one, only a few days to catch the 2nd... but after a steep learning curve, we get them on a regular basis.

PS: No, ever been to Porcupine. Its too far from where I live and lots of better lakes in between.

-DallanC

Registered
Porcupine Reservoir, UT; Jul 27, 2011 - Two people fishing while trolling
Water Sky Casting (fishing) Body of water Boat
Food Ingredient Animal product Tableware Dish

Porcupine Reservoir, UT; Jul 5, 2012 - Two people fishing while trolling
Food Ingredient Seafood Fish Cuisine

Porcupine Reservoir, UT; Jun 21, 2014 - Three people fishing while trolling
Smile Shorts Water Green Automotive tire

Yep, just can't seem to catch them little buggers. 馃榿

Administrator
Colorado has a snagging season for them in the fall with a very liberal limit.

20 or so years ago we were ice fishing in a small lake that had them. We were using miniature jigs, no more than 1/64oz and got into the kokes, that was one fun day.

My smoker hasn't seen that many fish at one time since.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Registered

Registered
Must have had liberal limits back then.;)
Limit at Porcupine back then was 12 per day - still is. 馃憤
2022 Guidebook said:
Porcupine Reservoir, Cache County
鈥imit 12 trout and salmon, only 4 may be rainbow, cutthroat or brown trout (a combined total). To take 12 fish, you must possess at least 8 salmon

21 - 25 of 25 Posts