Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Kolob 10/15

886 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  PBH 
#1 ·
Dad wanted to go check out Kolob on Friday. He likes fishing out of his raft, and doesn't like towing it over the mountain - especially with the recent weather. So we took the [longer mileage, but same time] Virgin route.

Who knew that the town of Virgin would be absolutely inundated with people on bicycles?! Seriously -- that place was an crazy mad-house! We knew something was up as soon as we topped out above LaVerkin -- there were campers and tents everywhere. Virgin had "Event Parking" signs up, and vehicles parked all over the place. The Kolob Terrace road was also packed with campers / tents on every little piece of open ground -- seriously, a mad-house!

So, apparently, Red Bull has a pretty big bicycle event in Virgin on 10/15. Who knew??

The drive up from Virgin is a really nice drive, especially this time of year. You just can't beat the colors.

As for fishing -- the weather was nice. The fishing was streaky. We'd both catch 2-3 pretty quickly, then it would get slow for a bit. Then we'd catch a few more. then slow. Then a few more...

Most fish were 14-15". I don't know how many we caught -- around 15 total in 4 hours. I hooked one fish that came to the surface, jumping, that was definitely larger than the others (17"?) but lost it close to the boat. We caught about half tiger trout / rainbows. I finally caught two cutthroat (14") as we rowed into the ramp to wrap things up.

It was surprising how many other people were up fishing. There was 1 other boat, and numerous groups fishing from shore. The bad thing: some of those groups were bait fishing. Kolob is now closed to bait fishing.

The good thing is that Kolob looks to be in good shape follow the last treatment -- keep it on your radar for next fall.

(sorry -- no pics)

See less See more
Reactions: ns450f and 2full
#2 ·
Thanks for the report.

I haven't fished Kolob in eight years but I used to go up there after the bait closure and I would see the same thing. The only up side was, I hardly ever saw any of them catch anything.

There were no tiger trout back then, just cutthroats and rainbows so it's nice to have another sport fish.

Good on you to take your dad out. Tell him Hi for me.

Sky Water Natural landscape Liquid Tree

#4 ·
Even before they went to the bait season there were always a few folks using bait. I never failed to see someone trying to disguise the fact they were using powerbait. Same with minersville, but I will say, both times I called the dwr they sent an officer out and citations were written. We sometimes need to do our part to help with the policing.

#5 ·
yes -- the boat ramp is still usable, along with the dock.

Reactions: backcountry
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.