Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard anything about Kolob lately? I was thinking about maybe going up there this Sat hoping that the ice would melt in the daytime (assuming it has atleast a small layer in mornings). I also don't know if its possible to even get to the lake???

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I haven't heard anything.

But, you need to consider a few things concerning any ice melting during the daytime:

1. It's December
2. Kolob sits at over 8,000 ft. elevation
3. During the last week temps around Cedar City have been hovering around 30 degrees.
4. There is about 30" of snow near Kolob. (ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/s ... 13m05s.txt)

my conclusions? Better take an ATV and an auger!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I spoke to a cabin owner who rode up on thursday, his report was that "he wouldn't dare walk out on the ice yet" and that "there's still alot(?) of open water". This character isn't a fisherman, but he told me he'd wait till next weekend before even thinking about ice fishing it. The road was also snow blocked down near blue springs somewhere, so don't plan on getting up there in a vehicle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't going to Ice fish, I was just wondering if there was any open water to fish normally and if the roads were good enough to get to the lake. I didn't end up going and I'm thinking that this weekend was the last possible chance until Ice fishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts