Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning on going fishing on the 15th (if the weather holds up), and was wondering if any of you southern guys have any suggestions. i know baker rarely freezes (and if it does it thaws that day) but i have never been to kolob after the summer. i was wondering if kolob is any good this time of the year and if it is accessible (coming from the virgin way)? also is it usually still open water this time of the year or will it have ice on it?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I never go to Kolob to fish. Baker would be a much better choice.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well By the size of Jeremy28's fish I would hit Kolob I don't know if it is frozen yet but if it isn't it might be kind of fun for one more fly fishing trip up there. I have only fished baker once and it was just planter bows EXCEPT I caught my first ever brown there so, my choice KOLOB

·
Registered
225 Posts
are you serious ridgetop? Baker's kind of like a last resort type of thing. I think they have a few big browns in there but noones's caught one for years and years. Everytime I go to kolob I catch atleast a 20" and they're really pretty, tall, and fat fish. You would be lucky to catch a 17'' from baker.

PBH, how do you interpret that chart? Also, whats the website? That would be really handy this time of year. The last time I was at Kolob was the weekend before last and it was really cold but still no ice other than a random small sheet that passed me by during the day. I was thinking that it would have a small layer of ice on it now or in the next week or so?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would interpret that you'd better have a snowmobile to get to Kolob and should probably bring an auger just in case.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Jeremy28 said:
PBH, how do you interpret that chart? Also, whats the website?
My interpretation is that as of 12/5/07 there is 17.9" of snow on the ground at the Kolob snotel station. I also can see that 6" of snow has melted since 12/2/07. This tells me that not only do we have a decent amount of snow, but that it has also been melting. This could mean that snow drifts may block the road. It could also mean that where the snow has melted, you can expect some muddy areas. If you're going to drive in there, you might want to take a shovel and some matches with you...

That report is a 7-day snow depth report from the Recreation section of the UT SnoTel site:

http://www.ut.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/

Here's the statewide water-year precipitation stats: ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/ut.txt

The thing I like the best about this site is that, unlike a ski resort, they don't benefit from exaggerating their numbers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts