Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew from California was fortunate enough to draw out on a late season La Sal cow elk tag. Having never previously hunted that area, I went down last weekend and did some scouting. I saw some great country but the sign seemed to be a bit old. Additionally, on the Upper and Lower 2 mile road that I have heard so much about, it seemed to me like there were cabins all over the place. I made my way over to Wray mesa and some other areas and again, good country, but I didn't see any elk. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to where to look. I feel like with the lack of snow, they could still be up on the mountain higher than I was looking. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I don't have any experience on the La Sals, but I'd hunt the snow line or higher...especially because of the mild weather we are having. I'd also be looking at east facing slopes early in the mornings trying to catch elk warming up in the early sun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. I appreciate the input. I'll let you know how it turns out. We're going to give it hell.

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you can get into the Taylor Flat area, this generally holds elk much of the year. As moose said, with the lack of snow, the elk are likely up pretty high still. I would try that west facing slopes on the west side of the range as well off the La Sal Mountain Loop Road if it is still accessible or open. You run into a pretty good amount of private land on the east side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A BIG thanks to all who replied. We hunted high and low yesterday and didn't
see a thing. We got into some this morning up high. We didn't end up getting a shot on the first group we saw. BigT thank you for your advice. I am proud to say my nephew got his first blood. It was snowing and blowing all morning. We ended up connecting off of the Taylor Flat Road. We are celebrating tonight! Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
A BIG thanks to all who replied. We hunted high and low yesterday and didn't
see a thing. We got into some this morning up high. We didn't end up getting a shot on the first group we saw. BigT thank you for your advice. I am proud to say my nephew got his first blood. It was snowing and blowing all morning. We ended up connecting off of the Taylor Flat Road. We are celebrating tonight! Thanks again!
Very cool! I love that place! It's pretty miraculous really that you were able to access the Taylor Flat area in late January! Taylor Flat sits above 8000 feet elevation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It definitely wasn't your average Sunday drive. Lots of snow. Drifting snow too. It was my nephew's first hunt. We were definitely pushing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts