Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved down here to Moab about a year ago. My Dad lives in Colorado and we have hunted other parts of Utah all our lives. We both got a General Season Spike tag for the beginning of October and have no clue where to go. I have gone up a few times trying to find some trace of elk but have had no luck. I have found a lot of bear signs but no Elk. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start scouting or hunting this mountain? I also have a deer tag for the latter half of the month and am running into the same problem. I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO!!!!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The elk are in the Quaky, Quaky/oak, oak...all over that mountain. Can't believe you live in Moab and haven't spent a couple days up there scouting around. Gee, lots of elk. Stop asking for a hot spot and get up there and scout around a little, you'll find plenty of elk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have spent a couple of days up there. Its hard to get up with school and job and kids. I haven't had much luck scouting any elk that's why I was asking a general area to start. It's a large mountain and I'm definitely willing to put in the work I just wanted some sort of direction as opposed to aimlessly driving and walking.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have an Early rifle tag down there this year that opens September 12th. I will let you know where the elk seemed to be on our hunt when we get back. We have been scouting a few times and have seen quite a few spikes this year.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If I were you I'd go scout up there during the muzzle load deer hunt for elk because they come out of the woodwork during the rut, and you're getting closer to the end of the rut. Truthfully, in all the time I've spent there every year, I don't see many spike elk. Now I also am not always really looking for them because my eyes are mostly drawn towards the herd bull.

If you don't have much time, I'd head out towards Spanish Valley and take the Loop Road and scout the Warner Lake area. It's a lot closer to you than the north side.

As for deer, I think they migrate between the muzzy and rifle hunts. If you have a bow, you might consider hitting the fields in Castle Valley where its archery only. Seriously a ton of deer in there come late October.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts