Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good patterns for Lake Powell? I've never used a flyrod there but I am looking forward to doing so this summer.

I found a picture of one at http://www.wayneswords.com/tips.htm (sorry you have to scroll way down to see the fly) and I tied a bunch of them. Just wondering if anyone has any other patterns that they have found work for them.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It depends on what species you are targeting. I haven't tried fishing for stripers with a flyrod, but my brother and I have slayed the SM and LM bass down there on a variety of leeches and buggers. I don't think it was so much the fly we were using (granted some patterns worked better than others) as much as the technique. We just fished from the bank in the rocks and drops with type II sink stripping bugs and averged 50+ fish a day.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have clarified species. I do enjoy flyfishing for largemouth, smallmouth and even crappie (I even caught my first pickerel on a flyrod last summer in New York).

This trip I am specifically hoping to get into a striper on a flyrod. Here is the fly I found on the Lake Powell site:[attachment=0:1cy5i8ry]strprfly.jpg[/attachment:1cy5i8ry]

I also think it would be interesting to catch a catfish on a fly, I have heard of people who have done it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts