Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Success :!: My wife is recouperating nicely from her surgery, and went shopping today with our daughter-in-law. I decided to make the long drive from Cache Valley down to Bicknell and see if I could fill my doe speedgoat tag. I didn't get away until 8:00 a.m. and made a couple early Christmas gifts drop offs in Provo/Orem on the way down. I filled up in Plain City, made my two quick stops, and didn't get out of the car until I was on the mountain Southwest of Bicknell. I made a pit stop, if you know what I mean (I can't believe I made it that far without others!) got my 270 ready (my son, with the help of my wife, bought me a new Tasco 3x9 and we sighted it in before Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday) and started looking. I saw a few, but they were out of range, looking at me with no way to sneak up on them. So I drove down the road, took a side road, and tried to circle around behind them. Got my gun, and started walking. Well, needless to say, that they saw me before I could get close enough for a shot and took off running. Back to the car to ride around and see if I could spot others.

I have to say, that I didn't see near the critters this year as I have in the past. Usually I've been able to spot a couple hundred or more. Not today. All told, maybe 30. On with the story. I took a side road after a while, and headed west. No luck, so I started to head back towards Bicknell, and came across a watering hole (frozen) and took a not much traveled road(?) as I have seen goats there before. Nothing. So back to the main road, and after about a mile, saw a herd of about 15 not too far from the road, back in a draw. I kept driving, so as not to spook them. I came across another little traveled road that went up on top of the ridge of the draw they were in. I drove up to almost the top, parked, and started walking the road. I had only gone a few hundred yards, when I saw them. They had walked around the backside of the ridge, and, luckily for me, didn't spoke when I saw them. They had seen me first. I walked off the other side of that ridge, and came to a little saddle. There they were, so I sat right down. I crawled towards them, and after I decided I was in a position to see them, got up on one knee, and there they were, about 150 yards away, looking at me. I didn't have much choice, but to shoot from that position. I picked out the biggest doe, aimed, and with one shot, dropped her where she stood! We must have sighted in well! She has about 2" horns, and from what I could tell, the bucks have been giving her a lot of attention, if you know what I mean. :wink:

Now, after my questionable shooting doe deer hunt, my son maybe won't give me crap about this one. She'll be in the freezer tomorrow. But I tell ya, with the price of gas, those are some pretty costly steaks. :evil: If I can get my cow elk easily, then maybe that can help defray some of the cost.

Again, no pics. I seem to always forget my camera. But then again, this is a meat hunt, not a trophy hunt. Maybe that's why I don't think about bringing it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Good Job.

But in my opionion any hunt I can get out and be successful is a trophy hunt.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just had the best bratworst ever!!!!!
I bought the kit from cabelas and made it out of the last pronghorn i harvested.
highly reccomended!!!!!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand what you are saying, BRL1! But you know how some guys get on this forum. I enjoy the meat of virtually all wild game, so I am a meat hunter first. So far, I am 5 of 6 on my draws this year (two doe ants. in Wyo., two doe deer in Utah, one doe ant. in Utah, one Blk Pwdr buck deer ( :x ), and cow elk in Utah that opens Dec. 5th). My freezer is filling up! We had some very nice speed goat steaks today at my son's place. He offered to grill them.

Never tried venison Brats, Chet. Sounds interesting!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well you could always send some of that meat my way. I am down to buying meat at the store this year considering between the deer, antelope and elk tags I put in for between Utah and Wyoming I drew ZERO.

Congrats on all the hunts and success.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, man. I was pretty lucky, at least on the antlerless draws this year. My son also had a Wyo. and UT. doe ant. tag, which have been filled.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
congrats on your doe. that a fun hunt I had that tag a couple years ago when it was two doe hunt. I had a blast.Im wanting to do it again some time.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checked my cow tag. It actually opens this Saturday, Dec. 1st! Don't know if I'll go or not, because my eldest brother's daughter, my niece, it having one of her daughters baptised sat. morning at 10:00, and we have been invited to attend.

Yeah DKH, I've done that one as well. So has my eldest son. Together we've both managed to draw buck antelope and several doe tags for the Parker Mt. area, and have always filled our tags. I'm guessing close to 20 in all over the years. We each got respectable bucks there as well. I posted the photos on the old DWR site a couple years ago, so you may have seen pictures of the mounts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts