Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father and I hit the View sun morning in hopes of hooking him up with Tiger number 629. He's kept a log of his catches since they were first introduced some 20 yrs ago. We were one of two boats on the water and for good reason, cold, rainy and fishless. We started out south of the ramp and headed down the narrows, back up the other side, across to cemetary point, up to the cemetary ramp, across to anderson cove and back down to the narrows again. I normally prefer to run and gun throwing cranks but this time of year requires a different presentation as they become very sluggish due to the cold water. Early spring will bring them to the sand where they'll lay like a translucent log on the bottom, I believe they find warmth there as they try to conserve energy. As the temps come up and the water deepens they'll move to the points and into the brush and it'll start all over again. I expect to see alot in the 30-34 inch class as the plant from a few years ago has matured. In my arsenal for next spring I'll include a couple of new techniques learned in Saskatchewan this year in hopes to spark a weary big one into a strike. Big Tigers are feeding machines but many times they'll follow as if they know there's something on the other end of the line. Many of us have had them pull up short at the boat staring with those cold black eyes only to slowly roll away as if they're thinking "not this time". I look forward to next year and will always welcome company if any of you are interested. Champ....

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Brett, you know I am in for some tigers, I have been doing good with the genetic slimer kind, but some toothy critters would be nice to! 628 tigers that is a ton for a fish that takes some serious work to get.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice report. Too bad the fishing wasn't better, but I bet it was nice to get out with your dad.

Like you said, this time of year tough for tigers. I have done best bouncing large jigs in deeper water when it get's below 50* water temps.

Have you ever caught any through the ice?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FC2, I have never fished for TM through the ice but a buddy once fished the day after the Doug miller perch fest and he picked up a couple, one which was pushing 40 inches. He said they could see them through their holes just under the ice and would drop a tube down in front of them. They probably moved in to score some easy food as the perch were hooked or being released.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yep, they'll do that. I have never landed one thru the ice, but I have had a few nice ones on. A few years ago I was fishing for perch and crappie thru the ice up there and had a HUGE tiger latch onto a perch I was reeling in. I got him up to the hole, and he was hooked with a rat finky, right in the corner of the mouth. I only had a 8" auger at the time.... There was no way he was coming through that hole. He eventually busted me off.

I tried targeting them last year using spoons and larger jigs. Had a few smaller ones on, but still didn't land any. Going to try again this year. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
First of all, good to hear you got out. It's a tough time of year to be out fishing, unless you like them trout that is.
skeet4l said:
I look forward to next year and will always welcome company if any of you are interested.
I also can't wait for spring as I'm a bass fisherman, but the lure of the Tiger Muskies seems to be drawing me in. I've tried three times for the big brutes out at the view from shore and have had no luck. I attribute this to a complete lack of knowledge as well as a lack of fundamental technique. If you're really serious about company, I would love to learn from someone who is obviously so knowledgable about that species. So, in five months or so, shoot me a PM or send me an email and maybe we can hook up.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dang, with all these invites, we're going to need the boat Al Hansen posted on the equipment page to accomodate everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts