Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so I got super lucky and got a billy tag but have a few questions from those of you that have hunt Willard or just mt goat. my hunt is the late hunt it starts September 21 to November 15. I really would like to take one with my bow but am getting a little nervous with my hunt being the late hunt. ive herd the goats are pushed down into the cliffs. thouse of you that have hunted up there how is the pressure? when they go to the cliffs how fair down do the go and are they on the west side any pointers would be great ive done a lot of scouting but there all on top right now. im worried about where they go when the hunt starts. anyways super excited should be a blast either way

p.s I have a lot of pictures ill try to figure out how to post them

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
No advice on the willard but I will tell you I am jealous. I hunted the Uinta's in '11 and had a blast. I killed mine with a bow. My advice is if you want to kill it with your bow just take your bow. I hiked in 8 miles to my goat camp and only took my bow and 6 arrows. My buddy with me thought I was a little nuts. As soon as I knew I had a tag it was an archery only tag in my mind. You have to be fully committed to not reach for the rifle.
Good luck and enjoy the heck out of it.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
If the weather is still decent in October many of them don't go that far down. Alot of the south facing stuff does not have as many cliffs where they go down into the big old Doug firs and Limber pines, between Ben Lomond and Willard peaks. They will still be on top at night many times, heading down early in the morning. This appears to be about feeding as much as anything. Some of those goats are half way down the mountain in the cliffs all year long.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alpine I cant wait should be a amazing hunt and I cant belive you didn't take a rifle as a back up! lonetree do you know any good trails to get me lower on the mountain would it be worth scouting any of the canyons from the bottom? also it looks like there are gates going up to inspiration do you know if the close them at any certain time

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Thanks alpine I cant wait should be a amazing hunt and I cant belive you didn't take a rifle as a back up! lonetree do you know any good trails to get me lower on the mountain would it be worth scouting any of the canyons from the bottom? also it looks like there are gates going up to inspiration do you know if the close them at any certain time
Hike, bike, or motorcycle in from North Ogden Divide(skyline trail), or do the same in from the trail at Willard basin that takes you up to the skyline trail via Willard peak.

You could hunt any of the canyons from the bottom up, but there are not what most consider to be "trails". Its all on foot from the bottom of the canyons up, and very rugged. Access to the bottom is problematic in some places as well with private property.

I don't know about the gates going up to Inspiration point.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks lonetree also this is my first time ever looking at goats ive been learning what I can to figure the difference between the nannies and billys but any extra help would be great also I don't really know what a good size billy would look like any ideas on how to size them up

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
Cool pictures! How close were you? Man are they ugly / goofy looking though in super short summer hair. Oddly, I dislike mounts of super long shaggy goats as well, when mounted that longer hair it mat's easier and looks all streaky and unnatural to me. I like the mid-length hair. My wife shot her goat early season on the Beaver, it was haired up pretty good for that time of year: big beard, long chaps, long hair on the back and brisket... a little shorter on the sides but I think that will make it look better mounted (IMO), judging from mounted goat picture's I've seen on the net.

Anywho as for judging... it can be notoriously difficult. I spent MONTHS looking over goat pictures, harvest pictures, scores, online quizzes and whatnot for my wifes hunt last year. Big tall nannys are easy to discern, its the younger nannys that can be mistaken for a billy. For billy's, you are splitting hairs on score / age. A single year different goat might only have 1/4" difference or less in horn length. If you can get close enough with good optics you MIGHT be able to count growth rings. Older billys will have a more boxy face, thicker nose etc.

Here is some useful info:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hunting/goathunting/pdfs/goat_long_quiz_for_web.pdf

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/HunterEd/MountainGoatIDQuizWEBRev09102010.pdf

Packout gave me probably the best overall advice going into the hunt: "Just have fun and dont sweat the score." Its way better to get something nice in a easy to access area vs something you nearly kill yourself to get into, and to get it out of.

One final thing... don't get all hung up wanting to hunt a specific goat, don't forget you wont be the only one up there hunting the same herd.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I'm assuming you drew a "hunter's choice" tag, when you say billy. This is much easier than a nanny tag, all you need to know is what "big" is, you don't need to sweat the rest. Willard is known for large goats, billies and nannies.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dallan thanks so much for the story your wife's goat looks huge!!! I was only 20 yards from some of the goats it was amazing being that close and helped me get some good pictures. im not really worried that much about score but don't want to shoot a super young one. ill keep the pictures coming im going back up this Saturday. and yes lonetree its a billy tag.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well had another blast up on the mountain. I was able to borrow my father in laws little Yamaha 200tw and rode up the ogden pass. wow what a amazing ride the views where great but I didn't make it pass the switch backs the little 200 didn't have enough power so I had to walk the last half a mile. it was nice to see that side but I didn't see any goats so I might stick to driving to inspiration. I end up spending the night on the mountain and got somemore good pictures.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts