Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about getting a layout boat so I can hunt big open water for divers. What is the best brand, how much do they cost, and where can I get one. Also what is the best WMA to use them it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
You know... if you had a low profile boat you could actually paddle... you could REALLY be deadly on almost all of the WMA's that I've seen. True layout (pumpkin seed shaped) boats would be hard to row I'd guess but any little sneak boats would work just as well. Lots of guys use coffins and I (thanks to a guys generosity) am going to try using another method to kinda get myself low profile and I should be able to do it in a little bit of skinny water. I'd almost think an Aquapod, Poke Boat or one of the Carstens boats (that will be my ultimate goal) would work the best to both maintain a low profile and still provide enough manueverability to get around the WMAs and get to hunting spots. Just my two cents of course. 8)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just curious if these low profile layout boats would be considered a "SinkBox"? I wasn't really sure if they were because i was interested getting one too. This is what i found on sinkbox's in the guidebook.

Sinkbox
50 CFR 20.21(c) and Utah Admin. Code R657-9-15
You cannot take migratory game birds from any type of low floating device that allows you to be concealed beneath the surface of the water. Called “sink boxes,” these devices float on the water, but they float barely above the water’s surface. You cannot hunt from sink boxes. You can hunt from boxes, blinds or culverts that are attached
to the bottom of the body of water you’re hunting, however.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i just use my boat as a layout. i have a camo cover that i added brush too and it looks like a brush pile. it worked really well and when you are laying down you are out of the wind. and it is also something different than everybody and there popup blinds. i can hunt area's they can't

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not believe that it is a sink box. A sink box allows you to be all the way under the water so that their is no profile at all. This just minimizes your profile. Does anybody own the final attack layout boat that is built by Otter Outdoors anc Cabela's sells them. If so, is it stable, maneuverable, and does it keep you low in the water.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
TagmBagm said:
I do not believe that it is a sink box. A sink box allows you to be all the way under the water so that their is no profile at all. This just minimizes your profile.
Thats pretty much my understanding of it as well. You can still be seen, since you will have some part of your rig above the water, but you just won't be as tall as Joe Everybody and his grassed up duck boat. I saw guys doing this on Farmington and they shot the only goose I saw killed out there last year. It was a KILLER method and one I'm definitely going to look into. Can you imagine the effectiveness of being out on the water... hiding in the middle of Ogden Bay, the Bear River units or somewhere else while everyone else is hiding in the bushes on the edge?? Hello.... money!!! Just don't get run over. :lol: Also, these little boats will let you quietly patrol the little channels, backwater ponds, non motorized units, etc that the big high HP crowd can't get their stuff on. I've been envious for a while of RobK and his son for using kayaks on some of the northern waters.... that looks like a total blast. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts