Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm new here to the Forums, 24 Year old From Payson, UT. I just got a call last week from the Fish and Game, Someone Surrendered their LE Tag and i was next on the list! Luckily I've already been Scouting the Elk on this Unit for My uncle who also has a tag. I thought I'd Post Some trail Cam Vid's and Get a little storyline thread going here as i go through the hunt. Let me know what you all think of what i have on my Cams so far! Also any Tips, Knowledge, or Advise for this Unit would be Much appreciated!

Google Drive Link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview...ZfaWF5SEZjZ25VQWxjb0xSYWpXeUhJYlU&usp=sharing

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
Nice pictures!!Welcome,keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I've REALLY enjoyed Fishlake this year..
My boat has been on the lake all summer.

That FL LE archery elk tag is on my shortlist for next year!

I Might just move there..:grin:..;-)..

Mrob, how many points?

Reactions: Dunkem

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
goofy elk, people may get upset if I say...but I only had 3 points! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
^^^^^^ Hunt it ^^^^^^^^

Reactions: bowhunt3r4l1f3

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
I've REALLY enjoyed Fishlake this year..
My boat has been on the lake all summer.

That FL LE archery elk tag is on my shortlist for next year!

I Might just move there..:grin:..;-)..

Mrob, how many points?
Man I would move there in a heartbeat if I could talk the wife into it!Absolutely love that area.

·
Registered
9,387 Posts
goofy elk, people may get upset if I say...but I only had 3 points! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
We might get upset at the system but not at the person that was lucky enough to draw the tag or be the next one in line for it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Congrats on the tag. What tag does your uncle have? Certainly convenient that you've already been scouting it.

I can only hope I can draw the tag with three points when I'm able to get back into the pool.

I've hunted FL the last two years and 3 out of the last 5 for LE elk. Last year I was with a friend on the archery hunt. The elk don't get very vocal except for early morning and late evening. Seems to be about labor day that a bunch start coming out of their hiding spots. The unit is thick with limited glassing advantages, so spot and stalk can be hard. I don't know when you plan on hunting, but my advise would be to be more aggressive earlier on in the hunt rather than waiting/hoping for things to heat up.

Here is a short vid of FL bulls that should hopefully add to your excitement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gledeasy, Awesome Video! That Definitely got my blood pumping. My uncle has the same tag as me (LE Archery Bull Elk, FL Unit) So we will be fighting for the biggest Bull! haha

We will be hunting Opening weekend, and then from the 4-11th.
So far we know their patterns of feeding Morning and evening. If they keep that same pattern we'll probably just sit in between where they come in and out for the first part of the hunt, without Calling or putting any pressure on them, because we know they won't be vocal or active rut wise until the tail end of our season. What do you all think about that? Thanks for the info on them starting to get active after Labor Day! Seems that might be when we decide to go after it a little harder.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I don't know anything about the unit but I enjoyed looking at your footage and look forward to hearing more from your hunt!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
goofy elk, people may get upset if I say...but I only had 3 points!
Nothing to be upset about there... congrats. Best of luck to you.

FL has been on my short list for a several years now but I've always applied elsewhere for one reason or another.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think you have a good spot with some shooters there. You've done your homework and looks like you are ready to go. Now we'll wait and see which one presents itself as your target.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
#20: wow, that'll teach the first bull in the line not to stop ahead of his buddy. i'm not sure if i'm glad the video cut off then or if he was going to defend himself.

i'd say you've got a great spot there. shouldn't have much trouble filling the tag, only decision on which one to take.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
--Update--

I've just returned from one last check on the trail cam's. I updated the Google Drive with the results (Just pictures this time) Seems like there are still a few that are coming into the Camera's but im wondering if the Heard bulls are now separated and doing their own thing now. Still showing they have full velvet as well Look's like i may have to go in a little deeper to get to the shooters. But i still know where they are!

https://drive.google.com/folderview...ZfaWF5SEZjZ25VQWxjb0xSYWpXeUhJYlU&usp=sharing

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The biggest bulls started rubbing tree and loosing velvet a few days ago.

Saw one this morning completely polished!,,,, And on the move.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The biggest bulls started rubbing tree and loosing velvet a few days ago.

Saw one this morning completely polished!,,,, And on the move.
Seems a little early right? Does that mean a chance of an earlier Rut? Or is this the normal time?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I've seen it this early before, heck last year rubbed bulls on the 10th....

Almost never later than the 15th...

Not far off track.

Reactions: Mrob21
1 - 20 of 35 Posts