Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the new late season muzzleloader hunts they have been trying, I do think it will help curve the backlog of point holders in the LE deer pool. I'm okay with these hunts on units over buck:doe ratio objective. Problem is I don't know if this will open up the point pool so much that it makes a significant difference.

I was just wondering the thoughts on allowing around 5 late season archery tags on every unit in the state for deer that ran around Nov 1-10, and allow muzzleloader hunts on units over buck:doe ratio objective like it currently is. It would allow for more permits, lower success rates, and a different opportunity than waiting 20 years to hunt the couple premium units in the state. I would love the opportunity to hunt with a bow late season and burn my points on it. I also think allowing a small number of bow tags on every unit and muzzleloader opportunities on units over buck:doe would give great opportunity as well as a variety. Just a thought. It would allow those who want to stay in the henries and pauns mess to do so, while allowing those who would rather have more than one LE opportunity at deer in their life a chance to hunt with very little pressure and experience a hunt with a chance at a great buck. This year on a few different GSs units I saw bucks I would have been happy with before Nov 10th to take with an LE tag, IMO it would be a very fun tag to have.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I think its a tough sell. I like it but just wondering if it would be very attractive to archers. They already have the front for free (no LE) and there are other less popular extended archery tags. A new one is being added in cache (laketown). Maybe a longer season Nov 1st through the 30th for the number of tags your idea presents. The central and southern utah archers would probably love that as I dont believe there are any extended ops in those areas. Also, I would like to see the number of tags doubled for the late muzzy hunts. Not enough tags offered for those hunts IMO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts