Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 17 points going into the draw and I'm a resident. I'm trying to decide which unit to hunt and I'm hoping you guys could give me some input on the units I'm thinking about putting in for. I'm thinking of putting in for either manti or fishlake. I chose these two because I'm only a couple hours away from manti and 3 from fish lake. I would be able to scout them a lot. I am leaning towards manti because it seems to be more remote with less roads and more rugged. I will be hunting with horses so I can get away from some of the crowd. I know there are more tags given on the manti but it is a lot bigger unit than fish
Lake. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That is alot of points to burn on those two units Imo. don't get me wrong there are good bulls on both. But with 17 points I would be looking at some of the premium units.i don't know your situation though. If you are looking for a rough rugged horseback hunt book cliffs roadless and mt Dutton fit that description

·
Administrator
10,481 Posts
It all depends on what you are looking for. That along with what unit you are most familiar with. It would be sad to use 17 points on a unit that you don't know and have to figure it out over this coming summer.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
17 sounds like a lot of points (and it is), but 17 points doesn't get you any where near what would be considered a premium unit. If you are wanting a rut hunt then those units fit the bill. You can draw either and go have a good hunt. If you know the Wasatch better and can scout it more easily then I would throw the Wasatch into the mix as well-- I know some will say other wise, but the Wasatch still produces some great bulls to guys who know what they are doing. The Dutton is a possibility, but it is a hard unit to learn and hunt. All things equal, I'd probably choose Panguitch, but it isn't an easy unit to hunt either. But the best unit can be the one you know.

If you want a late tag then more units are available to draw with 17 points. Not the same experience, but you get to take antlers home to hang on the wall. For me, the rut hunt experience would be hard pass up.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Tell ya what,
I've seen some bulls on the Manti the last 2 -3 weeks that have my full attention!

That said,
right now, a horse hunt on Nebo would be hard to beat..
The Nebo is getting back to 'good' quality wise......
And the Wasatch right now, is junk..... JMHO.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
17 sounds like a lot of points (and it is), but 17 points doesn't get you any where near what would be considered a premium unit. If you are wanting a rut hunt then those units fit the bill. You can draw either and go have a good hunt. If you know the Wasatch better and can scout it more easily then I would throw the Wasatch into the mix as well-- I know some will say other wise, but the Wasatch still produces some great bulls to guys who know what they are doing. The Dutton is a possibility, but it is a hard unit to learn and hunt. All things equal, I'd probably choose Panguitch, but it isn't an easy unit to hunt either. But the best unit can be the one you know.

If you want a late tag then more units are available to draw with 17 points. Not the same experience, but you get to take antlers home to hang on the wall. For me, the rut hunt experience would be hard pass up.
17 points is definitely alot of points for a unit that is on the decline like the wasatch I seen alot of empty tags go home on that unit last year. But did see a couple of good bulls 340-350 range hit the ground not alot though and yeah i know what i am doing i live on the wasatch and spend countless hours on the mts up there. As for the main question I would go Manti I have been a part of both fish lake and manti archery hunts the last few years. And came away from the Manti pretty impressed. This is just me but I would let the wasatch re coop a bit before I spent 17 points on it.theres a reason the dwr is back tracking on their elk slaughter of the past few years up there.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I know that there are a lot of varied opinions on the matter, but after the experience I had last year with my daughter I think everyone owes it to themselves to go on at least one bull elk hunt during the rut. We hit it just right and the action was unbelievable. Fast action, high adrenaline, blowing stalks with reckless abandon because there are two more Bulls screaming in the next canyon. Elk hunting is not my thing, but that was a fun time with my kid. Looking at the great bull on my wall everyday has been great as well. -------SS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. To be honest I have never been on the manti or fishlake units, but my dad use to hunt the manti a lot and knows it very well. I just want a good fun hunt that I can scout a lot and see a lot of elk. With the manti being close i could get down there every other weekend to check things out.
I was thinking of waiting to draw a premium unit but I won't catch them anytime soon. I want to be able able pack in and get away from other hunters somewhat and manti seems to fit that.

What type of caliber of bull is common on manti?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks for the responses. To be honest I have never been on the manti or fishlake units, but my dad use to hunt the manti a lot and knows it very well. I just want a good fun hunt that I can scout a lot and see a lot of elk. With the manti being close i could get down there every other weekend to check things out.
I was thinking of waiting to draw a premium unit but I won't catch them anytime soon. I want to be able able pack in and get away from other hunters somewhat and manti seems to fit that.

What type of caliber of bull is common on manti?
Manti is a solid choice If you do it right and be patient a 360 bull is very do able especially on horseback. Alot of 330 calibwr bulls on the unit

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love Fish Lake, but I'll be honest the rut can be hit or miss during the rifle hunt. I've hunted the early rifle twice and both times were misses with the rut.

No experience here but I would think Manti would be fun with horses.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The Manti is a good time, I accompanied my grandpa in 2014. We saw a handful of good bulls, the one attached is the only one that gave me long enough to take his picture... he came out and stood on the hillside just above camp as we were getting everything set up on Friday before opening day. Had a couple other really nice bulls just above camp throughout the hunt but we just couldn't close the deal.

I'd like to return to that unit to get a bit of redemption for that hunt not ending like we had hoped. Some beautiful and rugged country for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
From what you have said, I think Manti would be your best option.
I don't think you should pass on anything remotely close to the 350" mark.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Elk hunting is not your thing, SS? I once heard a guy say that cheerleaders were not his "type" and what you just said sounds very akin to that haha.
Not kidding. I'd rather hunt deer any day. Elk are cool and they taste great but I always find myself chasing deer in 2-3 states each fall and never elk. I usually shoot a cow every other year or so for meat. In my humble opinion, the mature mule deer is the king followed closely by whitetail then blacktail.--------SS

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I hunted the Manti during the 2014 muzzy hunt. You will see alot of bulls in the upper 200s and low 300s. I killed a 6x6 on day six of the hunt and he was in the 310-320 range. I suspect that if you are patient with a rifle, a 330-340 bull is a reality, BUT you have to be patient. You'll likely have to hold off on multiple smaller bulls before you find some of the bigger ones. Like Ridgetop said, you'd better be shooting if it's anywhere near the 350 mark.

I know a guy that guides a little down there. If you get overwhelmed with the unit's size (I was at first), I could give you his name to bounce questions off of. He helped with a 360 bull during the rifle and a 320 during the muzzy hunt last fall.

I'd be willing to give the info I learned during my hunt as well. Good luck whatever you choose to do. B/t/w...15 points guaranteed a Manti rifle tag last fall. 14 for Fishlake. I wouldn't hesitate to use 17 on the Manti for the rifle hunt.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had 17 pts last year and hunted Panquitch last year. It was close to my sons place and his buddies helped us. Lots of bulls bulging even with the early date, Had a great time and took a nice bull home I was very happy with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My goal is 340 or bigger, but more importantly is just the experience and a good time. Hope to see lots of elk and good rutting action.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Given all the above info I think you would be most satisfied on the Manti. Plenty of places to packing to and get away from the onslaught of ATVs.
If you are successful n the draw and as we get closer to summer give me a shout and I can at least give you some ideas about where to start looking

·
Registered
163 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would put in for the FL premium. 2 out of 3 with 17 points drew this last year. Depending on apps and permit #'s you may get the tag this year, if not you'd be sitting pretty good for next year.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Manti is a fun unit, with good bulls and lots of elk. If you went that direction, I would strongly consider some deep packing into the top ridges on Candland mountain. The hike will be gruesome, let alone packing gear and an elk, but there are some monsters that hang out there!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts