Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother's daughter has the LE fish lake muzzy tag.

It's been interesting so far. The elk start moving and making noise at about 4:30am, then by 7:00am they are heading back into the timber for the rest of the day. They come back out at about 7:00pm.

anyway, she got close yesterday afternoon.

What do you guys think? Shoot? or pass? (she passed on it for now)

(I'd have shot!)

Reactions: toasty

·
Super Moderator
10,288 Posts
I think that unless she has another bull in mind or is going for points then he would of been on the ground.

With elk you just never know when you are going to get the opportunity. Another shot may not happen for the rest of the hunt.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Seriously? That was a nice bull!

At that range with a muzzy... Yeah I'd of shot. Is she holding out for an elusive 360 bull? I honestly don't mean to come across the wrong way. But I would probably find some good rub for the tag.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just for context, she didn't pass because she's holding out for something better. She passed because she just didn't have a clear opening from her viewpoint. I can't blame her for that.

·
Super Moderator
10,288 Posts
When there is no shot there is no shot.

I just presumed that she did have a chance at this bull. You never know if the one taking the video is the shooter or someone standing off to the side where the hunter has a shot but the video doesn't show that angle.

I have watched hunting shows where the guy taking the video ask the hunter why he didn't shoot, and the hunter just says that he didn't have a clear shot, or it is the other way around where the hunter needs to wait on a shot so that they can get it on camera.

You never know.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nothing yet. They are back home for the weekend, and plan to head back to Fish Lake on Sunday evening. Hopefully we'll get some more pictures and videos next week!

(I'll definitely get some pics from the Canaan!)

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
unfortunately, no.

She did hit a nice bull. They looked for it for a couple days, and never recovered it. After spending over a week on the mountain hunting, away from her kids, she was physically and emotionally exhausted, and decided that her hunt was complete.

My brother went back a week later and spent another day hiking the hillside above the cabins / campgrounds, and still came up empty handed.

I think this may be a good lesson -- that sometimes these hunts are HARD, and we don't always go home with a trophy. :sad:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts