Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking this might be my year to draw out for this area and was wonder how the success was for the rifle tag if anyone has any good stories or any pictures that would be great I have hunted the area for twenty years or so! And have seen some really nice bull and have helped on getting a few good bulls out of there. So if you have any info that would be good thanks.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I've lived, and watched the elk numbers on the north Manti for 40 years..

Been watching those numbers decline for several years now.
Especially on the North west portion of the unit.
All of the early {Aug. 1st} cow hunts the DWR ran there for years effected
the herds greatly.

Completely changed elk patterns, pushed them east.
We haven't had elk wintering on the north west side like we did for a while now.
Even the September/October elk hunting has changed ALOT the last couple years.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah we elk hunt up there's do have noticed the elk herd has decreased quite a bit the last three years but we seem to sneake out a couple of cow elk a year. But it's getting harder to find them. The cow I shot this year had no fat on her I think this is from running around from all the hunting pressure up there! She was a two or three year old cow. She is sure nice eating though!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
There's still plenty of elk on the manti and good bulls too. If I had the points I would love to draw a rifle or muzzy tag for the manti. Heck I would love an archery tag also. Get in the seeley burn area and get you a monster bull.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Thats a nice Manti bull TS.!

Heres a Manti bull I got a snap shot of.

4th point on the right side broke off, nose in the air during the rut.

Attachments

Reactions: robiland

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I've got hundreds of pictures and lots of video I'm still sorting through from the early rifle hunt. Just haven't had a ton of time. That pic I posted is a still-shot from a video. He was a VERY nice bull. Never did see him again after he went over that hill. But my buddy killed a great bull, so it was a success regardless.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks I would live to see some of the other video and pictures I saw a few nice bulls during the cow hunt up there. The biggest bull I saw this year was a 350 and another one that was about 330 and a couple of spikes the big bull had a cool wave to his main beams but he was narrow but long! I love that arsa just a lot of area to comb threw the area! So I hope I get the good new that I draw the tag. And if I do I will do my best to be in shape and do my best to scout the most I can. I love to hunt and it will be about the hunt and not so much about the antlers to me it will be about being with my family and having fun and making memories! That will last a life time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts