Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks. Hope everybody has a great season this year. I have a buddy who pulled a spike tag and he knows where he's going to hunt, so no questions regarding where to go. Instead, he doesn't want to pay somebody to process the elk for him and yet he also doesn't want to ruin the meat by doing something wrong. Also, he doesn't have a place to hang the harvest.

Anybody on here care to let him hang the beast and go through the steps with him on properly processing the animal in exchange for some meat?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The guy I have had process a deer and two elk for me is very affordable and does an amazing job, last year BOTH elk only cost $125 total to process.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If he can't find anyone to take him up on his offer, how big is his fridge? Never done an elk this way, but when I was in school I didn't have a place to hang my deer. I just deboned it and put it in the bottom of my fridge in plastic bags (zip lock or garbage). Took it out as time permitted over the next couple of days to butcher and wrap it.

I've always done my own. You can find tons of websites and youtube videos showing how. Make sure to have him watch A LOT of videos though and look for best practices. I've seen some pretty crappy jobs when it comes to butchering on some of those videos. I learned after the internet but before Youtube was huge. I got most of my instruction from this guy's site. There are some things I don't agree with in his methods and some things that I do differently now, but it's a good starting place.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The guy I have had process a deer and two elk for me is very affordable and does an amazing job, last year BOTH elk only cost $125 total to process.
Hey 30-06 in curious who that guy is. Could you send me his contact info? We should have a couple more elk and deer needing to be processed this year. I've already taken my elk in this year to Hunsakers in West Valley but it was a little more expensive than I was expecting.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
30-06 hunter, how big were the elk?

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
I have use the bath tub to hang deer and a cooler inside closet to do the same. If you use a closet you just need to place a piece of cardboard down to catch the blood. A refrigerator was used for both hind quarters of a deer one year.

Also once you know the basics you can do the butchering while you are still out in the hills. Just let the meat hang a day in cool area and cut the meat up. You don't have to wrap it but just place it directly into a clean cooler, then wrap it once you get home. You don't even need to have a grinder for burger but use all the scrap meat as stew meat.

It would also be interesting to know who is butchering a elk for $125.00 and what size that elk was. Most deer cost more than that to cut and wrap.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Wow, that's a deal if they weren't calves! Probably still not that bad if they were!!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
By October the weather should be cool enough to hang the meat on the mountain. Properly bagged the flies won't fly blow it. I've always let my deer and elk hang for about a week or so up the mountain after shooting them. That is on private property, however, where you don't have to worry as much about people messing with it. Never have had a problem with predators getting into the carcasses.

·
Registered
248 Posts
By October the weather should be cool enough to hang the meat on the mountain. Properly bagged the flies won't fly blow it. I've always let my deer and elk hang for about a week or so up the mountain after shooting them. That is on private property, however, where you don't have to worry as much about people messing with it. Never have had a problem with predators getting into the carcasses.
We usually let ours hang out as well. a new friend of mine lost an elk two years ago; he stuck it late one evening on the archery hunt, gutted and hung it in a tree. when he went back in the morning to pack it out there were two bears fighting over the spoils.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i had a bobcat challenge me last year. he growled and after i realized what was going on i stood up and started making some noise myself. i'm glad he left me alone after that, since i was unarmed except for the knife.

·
Registered
681 Posts
On a week long archery hunt in Colorado several years ago I killed a five point early on in the hunt. We had borrowed a big coleman cooler, I believe in the 72 quart range and lined the bottom with block ice. I boned the elk out and put it in clear garbage bags, placed it in the cooler and kept it in the shade. The ice lasted all week and the meat even had a chance to age a little. I did rotate the meat occasionally but it worked well. I used the scraps when boning it out with dutch oven potato's. It was delicious. Once home the job of processing was quicker due to the elk already being boned and separated into muscle groups.
As for as butchering, I have done all my own for 15 or so years. I don't think I would ever take it to a butcher again. They generally excel in domestic animals but wild game is a whole different animal. (Pun intended). We bottle the pieces too small for steaks or roasts. It can be used for anything from sandwiches (similar to Tuna fish), shredded meat tacos, barbecue meat, etc, etc. I also purchased a grinder and jerky gun last year that makes for some fine jerky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts